Can FreeRTOS run on dedicated A7 core of a Dual iMX7 with second A7 core running Linux?

Plan A - FreeRTOS runs on dedicated A7 core of a Dual iMX7 with second A7 running Linux?

Looking at the i.MX 7 Heterogeneous Asymmetric Multicore Architecture Block Diagram, I am not sure if Heterogenous Multicore Units block supports only FreeRTOS on M4?

My concern is a 200 MHz M4 will not have processing power to replace the BlackFin DSP used in a current product.

Plan B - Bare-metal runs on dedicated A7 core of a Dual iMX7 with second A7 running Linux.

Cons: Must re-invent FreeRTOS resource sharing, messaging, and semaphores for inter-process communications.

Any tips or advice are much appreciated.

-Ed

Though theoretically tit’s possible such a configuration is neither supported now nor be implemented in a future. If you need higher processing power I can recommend to use Colibi iMX8X module. It has up to four A35 cores (Linux), M4F core 266MHz for use with FreeRTOS or bare metal, 650MHz audio DSP unit and Video processing unit. Please see details here.

@alex.tx Thanks. The Colibi iMX8X module looks quite capable.

You are welcome. Let us know if you have other questions.