Building a FPV(first person view) system for Drone

Hi Toradex Team,

I am complete newbie to the world of FPV systems. As part of my university project, I want to evaluate the different Toradex solutions avaialble for building a FPV system for the Drone.
The basic requirement for now is to have a 720p video streaming with 30 fps or less. The streaming can be done over WiFi or a custom radio link to the base station.

I would like to know the following :

• which imx series processors is recommended for a low latency real time video streaming ?

• are there any camera modules available that suffice the FPV system requirements?

• what kind of different camera interfaces should be considered?

• any suggestions for the receiving end /decoding the video packets.

Which imx series processors is recommended for a low latency real time video streaming?

You can use the Apalis imx6 or other Apalis modules.

Are there any camera modules available that suffice the FPV system requirements?

There is a CSI Camera Modue which will fit the FPV System requirements.

What kind of different camera interfaces should be considered?

Beside CSI there is also parallel interface, but we only have an adapter for analog camera to parallel interface. CSI is used mostly nowadays.

Any suggestions for the receiving end /decoding the video packets.

You can use GStreamer. For further Information, go to this site.

HI
Which operating system do you intend to use Linux or Windows Embedded?

I will be using Linux both at the Tx and Rx side.

Hello Jaski,
Thanks for your reply. The processor indeed seems promising.
Another question I have is:

1. Do you know what the latency is in streaming video over different medium: ethernet, wifi?
  2. Are there any source code available from Toradex, to use the h/w encoder, and build applications according to my use case.
  3. Or is there a SDK that can be used with the board mentioned.

I look forward for your reply.

1. Do you know what the latency is in streaming video over different medium: ethernet, wifi?
    Well, the latency will depend on your video quality (encoding/decoding), protocol used and you player settings. We cannot provide you any exact numbers for that.
  1. Are there any source code available from Toradex, to use the h/w encoder, and build applications according to my use case.
    The commands are explained on the site. For coding you can use the Gstreamer libraries.
    Or is there a SDK that can be used with the board mentioned.
    The SDK for an image can be found here or you can create them using OpenEmbedded Build.