Build Yocto for Colibri iMX8 QuadXPlus 2GB IT

Hi,

We are using Colibri iMX8 QuadXPlus 2GB IT SOM.

We want to build the BSP for that.
Here I got the links:

But it shows like U-boot version and Linux versions used is older i.e
U-Boot 2020
Linux 5.4

But NXP released U-boot 2021 and Linux 5.10

Where we can get the branch details for updated software and build procedure document?

Please can you share the link to build the updated BSP using yocto and documents to build that one,?

Hi @Devendra

Welcome to toradex community.

As of now we have no plans to migrate to Linux kernel v5.10 and the 5.4 is also LTS, so there will be support for a long time.Please refer to BSP support strategy.

Please can you share the link to build the updated BSP using yocto and documents to build that one?

Please refer to yocto/oe-core article.

Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply.

In imx8qxp what are all versions of SOM will be available. I can able to see B0 and C0. Is there any D0 version SOM?

How we can confirm what version of SOM currently we have ( We already have SOM but want to confirm).

For our custom carrier board we need 5 UART’s.

I think in imx8qxp 6 UART are there. But in Linux dts we can able to see UART0,2 and 3. Can we use UART1,4,5,6?

Whether these UART’s used for any other interfaces in SOM (like assigned to M4 in SCFW )
Please can you provide me the details of number of UART’s and how we can use that in our custom carrier board ( in SCFW do we need to disable? And assign to processors?)

Hi @Devendra

In imx8qxp what are all versions of SOM will be available. I can able to see B0 and C0. Is there any D0 version SOM?

Please refer revision-history page

How we can confirm what version of SOM currently we have ( We already have SOM but want to confirm).

You will get this information on top of your SOM.there is one white label/sticker which contains the SOM product name, version, and serial number.

For our custom carrier board we need 5 UART’s.

Colibri imx8x provides 6 UARTS. out of 6 UARTS,3 are available on the module edge connector as default UARTs and if you want to use the rest UARTs, you have to alter the Linux device tree.
Please refer Device-tree customization,PIN-multiplexing-linux articles

Hi,

Thank you for your support.

Related to SCFW query:

For B0 version only I am able to get the SCFW source code and binary from this link

Refer the section “Build SCU (SCFW)” in below link:

In the GitHub I am able to see only source code of B0 and not C0/D0.
How I can get the source code of SCFW for C0/D0 version?

Related to UART query:

In the datasheet it’s mentioned like 6 UART is available:
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/IMX8QXPAEC.pdf

In imx8qxp totally 6 UART is there. In that only 4 UART we can use. Another two is for Cortex m4 and SCU. That we can’t use for general purpose. (Please check datasheet page 4)

So this means we can use only 4?

And on edge only 3 UART available? 4th one is used for what interface on SOM?

If we are able to use total 6, then in SCFW any modification we need to do related to UART?( Like assign the UART to Cortex-Ax instead of M4 ?

Hi,
One more question regarding flashing the images to imx8qxp.

We did the modification in U-boot, Linux and dtbs for our requirements and generated the Binaries.
We are able build the yocto Binaries which combines all these also.

How I can flash this to board ?
We don’t have display so think we can’t use Toradex esy installer.

I know we can run uuu command in Linux. But that procedures I didn’t get on Toradex website.
Please can you provide the link which explains steps for flashing the images manually?

Is .wic.gz format required to flash?

Hi @Devendra

Yes,
6× UARTs:
• 4× UARTs (3×colibri standard)
• 1× UART tightly coupled with Cortex-M4F cores(can be used over RpMsg)
• 1× SCU UART (Note: SCU UART is dedicated to the SCU and not available for general use).

The 3 UARTs are configured default as Colibri standard and if you want to use the 4th UART, you have to alter the Linux device_tree (PIN 30->UART1_RX, PIN 28->UART1_TX).

Please can you provide the link which explains steps for flashing the images manually?

Please note display is not mandatory for toradex easy installer. You can use vncview to view toradex easy installer window in development PC or enable the “autoinstall”: true feature in the image.json file to automate the flashing without user intervention
Please refer remote desktop, auto-install articles.

Hi,
Can you answer for the SCFW related queries?

Hi @Devendra

If we are able to use total 6, then in SCFW any modification we need to do related to UART?( Like assign the UART to Cortex-Ax instead of M4 ?

You can use only 5 UARTs.The SCU UART is for debugging the SCU only not for anything else and the 1xM4 can be used over RpMsg.