Build error when building torizon-minimal and torizon-core-docker from source

I am trying to follow this article to build yocto from source:

I have an Apalis imx8 board, and my host machine is running Ubuntu 22.04
I am using v6.4.0 sources

When I try to bitbake torizon-minimal, I get a “ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES ‘torizon-minimal’” (when building natively and with containerized build)

When I try to bitbake torizon-core-docker, I get a segmentation fault during the build of boost 1.78.0 with the following error message:

| In file included from libs/log/src/text_file_backend.cpp:33:
| ./boost/bind/bind.hpp:345:60: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
|   345 |     list3( A1 a1, A2 a2, A3 a3 ): base_type( a1, a2, a3 ) {}
ERROR: Task (virtual:native:/home/dev/workspace/toradex/build/conf/../../layers/openembedded-core/meta/recipes-support/boost/boost_1.78.0.bb:do_compile) failed with exit code '1'

Hey @tst,

You may need to download the meta-data. While in your build directory, can you run repo commands:

repo init -u git://git.toradex.com/toradex-manifest.git -b kirkstone-6.x.y -m torizoncore/default.xml

and

repo sync

Then run your source setup-enviroment, you should see something like this:

Are you attempting the torizon-core-docker on an unmodified yocto build project folder? 

-Eric

Hi Eric,

thanks for getting back to me.
That is basically what I did, but with v6.4.0, the latest release if I understand correctly.
Here are the commands I am running:

repo init -u git://git.toradex.com/toradex-manifest.git -b refs/tags/6.4.0 -m torizoncore/default.xml
repo sync
MACHINE=apalis-imx8 source setup-environment build_dir
bitbake ${image}

@tst,

Can you post the output from the setup-environment command line? You should see torizon-minimal as a build target.

-Eric

Here it is:

dev@ubuntu-22-server-dev:~/workspace/toradex$ MACHINE=apalis-imx8 source setup-environment build

Welcome to Toradex TorizonCore

For more information about OpenEmbedded see their website:

http://www.openembedded.org/

Your build environemnt has been configured with:

MACHINE = apalis-imx8
    SDKMACHINE = x86_64
    DISTRO = torizon

You can now run 'bitbake <target>'

Some of common targets are:

torizon-core-docker
    torizon-core-podman
    torizon-core-lite

dev@ubuntu-22-server-dev:~/workspace/toradex/build$ bitbake torizon-minimal
Loading cache: 100% |#############################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:01
Loaded 4752 entries from dependency cache.
Parsing recipes: 100% |###########################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:00
Parsing of 3138 .bb files complete (3137 cached, 1 parsed). 4753 targets, 652 skipped, 11 masked, 0 errors.
WARNING: No recipes in default available for:
  /home/dev/workspace/toradex/build/conf/../../layers/meta-toradex-nxp/recipes-multimedia/gstreamer/gstreamer1.0-plugins-base_1.20.0.imx.bbappend
ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'torizon-minimal'

Summary: There was 1 WARNING message.
Summary: There was 1 ERROR message, returning a non-zero exit code.

Hey @tst,

Can you run the repo init/sync with the manifest branch 6.x.y (i.e -b kirkstone-6.x.y )

What you see of “torizon-core-lite” is an older name for torizon-minimal. So I believe you need the correct branch.

Also, Do you have specific reasons for using the minimal Torizon OS vs Torizon OS? It’s also quite easier to build a custom image with TorizonCore Builder vs yocto, but it comes downs to your needs.

-Eric

Can you run the repo init/sync with the manifest branch 6.x.y (i.e -b kirkstone-6.x.y )

I would rather lock in a specific release. Is there a known good release I should use?

Also, Do you have specific reasons for using the minimal Torizon OS vs Torizon OS?

I tried torizon-core-docker first, and ran into a Seg fault when compiling boost (see original post)

t’s also quite easier to build a custom image with TorizonCore Builder vs yocto, but it comes downs to your needs.

I might end up using TorizonCore Builder, but being able to build yocto ourselves as a fallback option is a must.

Hey @tst,

You’ll need to reference 6.5.0 ( i.e: 6.5.0-devel-202312 )for the torizon-minimal Here is the git repo for the toradex manifest files. The release processes goes from nightly → monthly → quarterly, the so the request for using torizon-minimal is at the monthly, but not yet quarterly stage (it will be eventually).
Here is a helpful page on when releases occur and their names.

I’ll look into the boost topic, there may be something that fixes itself with a more up to date build, but I don’t believe torizon-core-docker vs torizon-minimal will show any different. Let me know if it does.

The Torizoncore-Builder tool uses yocto on the back end, so you end up with the same image. In a too simple statement, it’s a trade off between speed and flexibility. If you don’t need the flexibility of yocto, Torizon OS will be much faster application development.

• Eric