Booting custom linux on Apalis iMX8 QuadMax

Hi,

I’m trying to boot a newer Linux kernel (branch 5.4-2.0.x-imx from GitHub - Freescale/linux-fslc: Linux kernel source tree make defconfig), but so far fail to boot it. I succeeded in compiling the toradex branch (toradex_4.14-2.0.x-imx) and booting this using the following steps from u-boot:

setenv bootargs console=ttyLP1,115200 earlycon=lpuart32,0x5a070000,115200,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait rw video=imxdpufb5:off video=imxdpufb6:off video=imxdpufb7:off
fatload mmc 0:1 0x84000000 fsl-imx8qm-apalis-eval.dtb
fatload mmc 0:1 0x82000000 Image
booti 0x82000000 - 0x84000000

Doing the same with the newer kernel image results in:
ERROR: Did not find a cmdline Flattened Device Tree
Could not find a valid device tree

As far as I understand this is due to the image being larger in size and overwriting the memory region of the dtb. I tried to change the memory regions but without success. Mostly I hit “Synchronous Abort” handler and the system reboots or it just hands after Starting kernel…

I’m sure I do something stupidly wrong :slight_smile: . Any help is appreciated.

Best regards

@Toradex: Any update on this?

So far this is unsupported. Such work has been scheduled for completion in Q3 2020 by the latest.

@marcel.tx

Thank you very much for the feedback. We have a very tight schedule on this project, could you please provide a little more details about the planned release date for BSP 5.0 Dunfell? By the end of Q3 would be to late for our project and we would need to think about a backup strategy now.

The first monthly Dunfell release of our BSP is scheduled for the beginning of August but very likely it will not contain a complete port of NXP’s latest BSP L5.4.24_2.1.0 yet. The September monthly, on the other hand, should already be much closer and end of September the first official quarterly release is due (e.g. Toradex BSP 5.0.0).

Thanks for the update, that might work for us. Looking forward to the first monthly release in August!

You are welcome.