Boot time for a typical QT application on IMX7 modules

Hi,

I’m looking to create a project with a Colibri IMX7s running a Qt application. I’ve seen several very interesting video about boot2Qt, which seems to do everything I need.

However, there is one element I wasn’t able to find: what kind of boot time can I expect? I know a precise figure is not possible to give, but can I have an approximation? Less than 5sec? 20sec?

Thanks in advance,

Matthieu

Dear @ParalaX

The approximate boottime of boot2qt is 15-20s. However, this is without optimizing anything. You can be much faster if you strip down the kernel and you boot directly into the Qt Application instead of using e.g. systemd which is used by boot2qt by default. If you invest a lot of time in optimization ~5s can be achievable.

You may want to check the following webinar and blog article on how you can speed up the boot time:

Regards,
Stefan

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer! I was hoping that it was a bit more optimized by default, since I’ve got very limited knowledge in Linux. However thanks a lot for your links as it looks like a very good place to start :slight_smile:

Also, is there some module that are faster than other in the colibri family?

Regards,

Matthieu

Hi @ParalaX

I think maybe the iMX6 boots a little bit faster (because of the faster core and because of eMMC) but in general it wont make huge differences. By optimizing the image you can gain much more.

Regards,
Stefan