Boot Apalis i.MX8 through USB

Hello All,

We are using Apalis i.MX8 SOM on our custom hardware. When I take a fresh new Apalis i.MX8 SOM and try to flash it using USB, it does not work.
We create easy installer setup in the pendrive and try to flash the SOM using it, it does not boot with the easy installer setup.
We always have to create easy installer setup in the SD card. It works in SD card.

Is it possible to flash the new Apalis i.MX8 SOM using easy installer through USB?
If it is possible, can you please share any reference?

Regards,
Prathamesh Kulkarni

Do you mean that the image you want to flash on the module is copied to USB and from there you are not able to flash using Toradex Easy Installer?

Can you please update in detail what setup you are referring to?

Hello Sahil,

We have downloaded the toradex easy installer from below link.

We are using Yocto Project for the development and we are using toradex-reference-multimedia-image.

We created Tezi Image using yocto project, and trying to flash it using USB using Toradex Easy Installer.

We are able to flash the new image with SD card using toradex easy installer. But we are not able to do the same using USB stick.

I mean when we copy easy installer and Tezi image to SD card and connect to the Board, the board boots with easy installer from SD card. But when we copy easy installer and Tezi image to USB pendrive it does not boot with easy installer from USB.

Regards,
Prathamesh Kulkarni

Regards,
Prathamesh Kulkarni

Hi All,

Any thoughts on this?

Regards,
Prathamesh Kulkarni

Hi @prathamesh.kulkarni,
You answers is already there in the article.
You need to use command “run bootcmd_usb0”.

Hi Sahil,

Thanks for your input.
In this case, we have to stop console at bootloader and run the command.

Actually we need to get it booted from usb automatically without using serial console. Is there any way, we can automate this process?

Regards,
Prathamesh Kulkarni

Hi @prathamesh.kulkarni ,

Yes you can automate the flashing.
On newer modules Toradex Easy Installer comes pre-installed, so do not have to copy Toradex Easy Installer to either SD card/USB driver and boot Toradex Easy Installer.
These are the steps you need to do when using a new module having Toradex Easy Installer pre-flashed

1. Copy your OS image that you want to flash to SD card/ USB drive. Open image.json edit “autoinstall”: true" & save.
  2. Attach the USB/SD Card to your board and power on,
  3. You will be able to see the image getting flashed on the display connected.