Bitbake 2.7 angstrom-lxde-image and Cannot Fetch Linux Kernel or U-Boot Properly

repo init command:

repo init -u http://git.toradex.com/toradex-bsp-platform.git -b LinuxImageV2.7
bitbake -k angstrom-lxde-image

My problem is bitbake consistently fails on the do_fetch tasks on the following recipes:

linux-toradex-4.1-2.0.x-2.7.3
u-boot-toradex-2016.11-2.7.3-gitrf04e4149
u-boot-toradex-fsl-fw-utils-2016.11-2.7.3-gitrf0e4149

The bitbake fetch progress bar filled with ‘#’ to 100 % but then I see ‘<=>’ slide back and forth in the progress lane until I get the fetch error failed with exit code 128; fatal: read error: Connection timed out.

I am able to git clone the repos as a separate task so I have access to the repos.

git clone -b 2016.11-toradex git://fit.toradex.com/u-boot-toradex.git
git clone -b tordex_4.1-2.0.x-imx git://git.toradex.com/linux-toradex.git

I am not sure how to fix this. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Hi

This is rather strange.

If you have the git repos in your download directory, you could try to manually update them before starting bitbake again.

cd .../downloads/git2/git.toradex.com.u-boot-toradex.git/
git remote update

You could try to do a cleanall on the failing recipes which will also remove fetched files for that recipe (which might be garbled and block a successful download)

bitbake -c cleanall virtual/bootloader virtual/kernel
bitbake -c fetch virtual/bootloader

Did you by chance run bitbake as root? (Which I think is nowadays not possible anyway).
That way there might be files which now cannot be changed and make the fetch fail.

Is there anything in the bitbake log pointing to the error?

build/tmp-glibc/work/colibri_imx6-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-toradex/*/temp/log.do_fetch

Could you attach one of the log.do_fetch files if this pointers did not help?

Max

Thanks Max for your quick response. Let me try a couple of things you suggested. I did not clone the repos into the download directory but I can. I tried cloning them to verify I had proper access to them through my corporate network. I ran bitbake clean on the failed recipes but I did not specify them as you did like virtual/bootloader. So let me try your suggestions and then if it still fails I will attach a log of the do_fetch failures.

Hi Max. I used your tip of cloning the 2 repos into the downloads/git2 directory using the corresponding local repo name syntax as you have shown above. Everything built properly after getting the virtual/kernal and virtual/bootloader source code downloaded into their proper place. I thank you for that help.

I noticed that is there are a number of new files for v2.7 / Morty in the …/deploy/images/colibri-imx6 directory like ‘Colibri-imx6_LXDE-Image.rootfs.sdcard.gz’ that are different than previously built v2.4 / dizzy. I previously built v2.4, loaded it on an SD card using 2 partitions, FAT32 and EXT3, booted it through running u-boot/sdboot. Can you please point me to v2.7 documentation that explains how to load and boot this version v2.7 from an SD card. Is there a reference explaining all of the files generated in the images directory tree? I know there is now a Secondary Program Loader step in this release as well. How is that executed in the boot process from an SD card?

Hi

Good to hear it worked.

Could you please open a new community question about SD boot?
No one would ever find these answers again after skimming over the ‘fetcher’ subject.

Max

Dear:
I found this problem also, and i try as you suggestion, and still not working. the error as bellow: Could you help me fix it?

RROR: u-boot-toradex-fsl-fw-utils-2016.11-2.7.3-gitrf0e4149 do_fetch: Fetcher failure for URL: 'https://git.toradex.com/u-boot-toradex.git/'. The fetch command returned success for url https://git.toradex.com/u-boot-toradex.git/ but /home/allen/oe-core/build/downloads/git.toradex.com.u-boot-toradex.git. doesn't exist?!
ERROR: u-boot-toradex-fsl-fw-utils-2016.11-2.7.3-gitrf0e4149 do_fetch: Fetcher failure for URL: 'https://git.toradex.com/u-boot-toradex.git/;protocol=http;branch=2016.11-toradex'. Unable to fetch URL from any source.
ERROR: u-boot-toradex-fsl-fw-utils-2016.11-2.7.3-gitrf0e4149 do_fetch: Function failed: base_do_fetch
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/allen/oe-core/build/tmp-glibc/work/colibri_imx6-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-toradex-fsl-fw-utils/2016.11-2.7.3-gitrf0e4149/temp/log.do_fetch.22253
ERROR: Task (/home/allen/oe-core/build/../layers/meta-toradex-nxp/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-toradex-fsl-fw-utils_git.bb:do_fetch) failed with exit code '1'
Currently  2 running tasks (6346 of 7273)  87% |########################################################################################################################################                    |
0: linux-toradex-4.1-2.0.x-2.7.3 do_fetch (pid 22247)   1% |#                                                                                                                                      | 96.7K/s 
WARNING: u-boot-toradex-2016.11-2.7.3-gitrf0e4149 do_fetch: Failed to fetch URL git://git.toradex.com/u-boot-toradex.git;branch=2016.11-toradex, attempting MIRRORS if available
ERROR: u-boot-toradex-2016.11-2.7.3-gitrf0e4149 do_fetch: Fetcher failure: Fetch command export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-p4QlsmPMVI"; export SSH_AUTH_SOCK="/run/user/1000/keyring-93mEAV/ssh"; export PATH="/home/allen/oe-core/layers/openembedded-core/scripts:/home/allen/oe-core/build/tmp-glibc/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi:/home/allen/oe-core/build/tmp-glibc/sysroots/colibri-imx6/usr/bin/crossscripts:/home/allen/oe-core/build/tmp-glibc/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/sbin:/home/allen/oe-core/build/tmp-glibc/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin:/home/allen/oe-core/build/tmp-glibc/sysroots/x86_64-linux/sbin:/home/allen/oe-core/build/tmp-glibc/sysroots/x86_64-linux/bin:/home/allen/oe-core/layers/openembedded-core/scripts:/home/allen/oe-core/layers/openembedded-core/bitbake/bin:/home/allen/yocto_varsomam33/tisdk/sources/bitbake/bin:/home/allen/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games"; export HOME="/home/allen"; LANG=C git -c core.fsyncobjectfiles=0 fetch -f --prune --progress git://git.toradex.com/u-boot-toradex.git refs/*:refs/* failed with exit code 128, output:
fatal: unable to connect to git.toradex.com:
git.toradex.com[0: 158.69.183.114]: errno=Connection timed out

ERROR: u-boot-toradex-2016.11-2.7.3-gitrf0e4149 do_fetch: Fetcher failure for URL: 'git://git.toradex.com/u-boot-toradex.git;branch=2016.11-toradex'. Unable to fetch URL from any source.
ERROR: u-boot-toradex-2016.11-2.7.3-gitrf0e4149 do_fetch: Function failed: base_do_fetch
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/allen/oe-core/build/tmp-glibc/work/colibri_imx6-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-toradex/2016.11-2.7.3-gitrf0e4149/temp/log.do_fetch.22250
ERROR: Task (/home/allen/oe-core/build/../layers/meta-toradex-nxp/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-toradex_2016.11.bb:do_fetch) failed with exit code '1'

Hi

What happens if you go through the ‘Failing Builds’ list?

e.g.

bitbake -c cleanall u-boot-toradex-fsl-fw-utils u-boot-toradex 
bitbake u-boot-toradex
bitbake u-boot-toradex-fsl-fw-utils

Max