Best practices to use VPN in TorizonCore

Dear Community,

I wonder if some support for VPN protocols directly in TorizonCore is already in place or is planned for the future. In alternative, which is in your opinion the best way to add VPN support to TorizonCore 5 today?

Maybe to use a Debian Docker image with VPN client installed and routing the traffic between the tunnel and a Docker network to the other applications. What do you think about it?

Thank you in advance for the feedback and best regards,

ldvp

Greetings @ldvp,

We actually do have in our backlog plans related to VPN support in Torizon. Though I don’t want to make any hard guarantees as it’s currently only a “plan” at best. But, we will definitely be looking at this topic.

What I will say is that initial investigations included ideas of integrating some kind of VPN solution into the base OS itself rather than in a container. Though further details are still in discussion and are subject to change.

If you don’t mind may I ask your requirements for a VPN solution? For example, use case or any specific features and such. Providing feedback like this would help in our own planning and investigation if we had customer use cases such as yours to plan around.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi @jeremias.tx,

thanks for the feedback and for sharing you are at least considering it for possible future implementation.

Regarding my case, I was considering to use a VPN for remote access to devices, for example to have a SSH access and monitoring, without port forwarding or equivalent network configurations, which are not always possible.

Best regards,
ldvp

Ah okay, understood. So all in all, very basic VPN usage then. Well I appreciate the feedback I’ll forward this on to our developments teams. I’d say for now just keep an eye out and check in later about this. I can’t give any estimates at the moment unfortunately.

Best Regards,
Jeremias