Best practices for production programming

I want to use the simplest possible procedure for production programming, however, there are some confusing instructions on the Toradex website.

On this page:
Production Programming for Colibri VFxx Modules

It says

If you are updating from different
version of Windows CE you need to
first update the bootloader and the
image, reboot, and update the rest of
the sections

Can someone please clarify exactly what “different version” means in this context? Upgrading from CE6 to CE7? Upgrading from CE7 1.0 to 1.2? The reboot is unnecessary when re-installing the exact same os image on top of itself, correct?

Some instructions (can’t seem to find the pages now) mentioned I should enter the boot menu, command prompt, and run “eraseflash filesystem” or “eraseflash 0 128MB nocheck” when updating the os image. I have the same questions as the prior scenario. When exactly am I supposed to erase the filesystem? Upgrading from CE6 to CE7? Upgrading from CE7 1.0 to 1.2? The eraseflash is unnecessary when re-installing the exact same os image on top of itself, correct?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dear @ed.nafziger,

Thank you for contacting support. Ideally, WinCE versions mean WinCE6 or WEC7 or WEC2013. WinCE image release versions mean our standard image releases on every few months like v1.4 or v.15

If you are updating from different
version of Windows CE you need to
first update the bootloader and the
image, reboot, and update the rest of
the sections
It means WinCE versions either 6 or 7 or WEC2013.

Attention: EraseFlash Filesystem is a
mandatory command when updating
different WinCE version images. If
skipping this command would cause
module may not boot or filesystem
problem may occur

The above statement from this link is generally true but it may work in some cases. Also, this change made eraseflash compulsory for updating from v1.4 to newer versions on the same WinCE versions(6 or 7 or 2013).

We would like to know exactly which version are programmed on the module and which version you are planning to upgrade? It will help us to share exact steps required to update the module.

Also, if you are ordering new pieces from Toradex that is usually shipped with latest production release image e.g.: v1.5 or v1.6.

I have many VF50 modules purchased over the past 2 years. Most of these we have installed WCE7 1.3b4. Some of them are pre-1.2B modules, some are the new 1.2B modules.

I want one procedure to follow that will work on any VF50 module revision, regardless of what version of WCE is already on it, to update it to whatever WCE7 version that I want to use at the moment. Is that possible? If yes, then can you please provide me those instructions? Thanks.

Here is what I have so far that seems to work. However, all my VF50 modules were non-booting, so I had to go through the recovery procedure which ended up putting WCE7 1.6b4 on them all. During production programming I am installing WCE7 1.6b4 (the same version that is already on them). I want to make sure the following procedure will work regardless of what version of WCE is already installed (WCE 6 or WCE7 1.3b4 or WCE7 1.6b4, etc).

1. boot into windows.
  2. insert USB with production programming template files for bootloader+osimage.
  3. wait for update tool batch file to complete, remove USB drive.
  4. reboot.
  5. enter bootmenu.
  6. press c to clear registry
  7. type “eraseflash filesystem”.
  8. reboot and wait for windows to finish loading…
  9. insert USB with production programming template files for filesystem+registry+configblock.
  10. wait for update tool batch file to complete, remove USB drive.
  11. reboot.

Dear @ed.nafziger,

Your steps are correct if you follow those steps you can update to any version of OS.

1. press c to clear registry
    You would even do this by batch script, refer here : https://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/clear-registry

How many modules do you want to program? You can mark your message as private if you want.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.