Bee sound from SoM :(

Dear Support,

I have been using the i.MX8 Mini SOM with the Verdin development board for around 6 months. Today, I tried to test RS485 with a USB to serial cable. I was able to send commands using the ‘echo’ command and read them on the Terminal software. However, when I tried using the ‘cat’ command or sending commands with Terminal, nothing happened on the ‘cat < /dev/ttymxc2’ on the Linux side. I swapped the wires, and something unexpected happened. The Verdin board turned off and the Bee sound came from the SoM.

I have had issues before where the Verdin was blinking by itself every 10 second, but after reflashing the SoM, everything went back to normal. However, I cannot reflash it this time. It seems that something has happened to the SoM, and I have tested another SoM with Wi-Fi which works fine. Therefore, I suspect the SoM is broken.

Do you think my assumption is correct?

Best regards,
Mehrdad

Greetings @Mehrdad,

That certainly sounds concerning. Since the module is no longer responsive and you can no longer reflash, that does seem to indicate some permanent hardware damage occurred.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

1 Like

Greeting @jeremias.tx ,

Thank you for your prompt response. I appreciate your input on my previous query.

As such, I would like to inquire if Toradex is able to test or repair the damaged i.MX8 Mini SOM module.
Please let me know if this is possible, and if so, what the process for testing or repair would entail.

Best regards,
Mehrdad

Hi @Mehrdad !

Maybe the RMA process would be a way of checking what can be done.

But, before proceeding to RMA, could you please share some information?

• Could you share your current boot log? (accessible only via serial console)
  • Which module and carrier board versions are you using?
  • Which OS and which version is installed?
  • Are you able to put it in recovery mode?
    • If yes, can you please share the boot log of the Toradex Easy Installer?
      • Please also share a screenshot of the Toradex Easy Installer UI
    • If not, could you please share the outputs of the Toradex recovery script?

Best regards,

Hi @henrique.tx ,
Thank you so much.

When I insert the SoM and press the turn-on button, nothing happens, just the led is on, and I hear noises similar to bee insects. I also tried using the recovery button and turned it on, but same result.
The latest I modified the DT was when I installed TorizonCore5 with this image :

torizon-core-docker-verdin-imx8mm-Tezi_5.7.0+build.17.tar

easy installer that I use for recovery is :

Verdin-iMX8MM_ToradexEasyInstaller_5.7.2-devel-20230222+build.456

And I cannot not access to the SoM details unfortunately :frowning:

Best regards,
Mehrdad

Hi @Mehrdad

So you can’t access the serial port console from the installed image?

You also can’t load Toradex Easy Installer to the module, that’s right?

Please share the outputs of the Toradex recovery script of an attempt of loading Toradex Easy Installer.

Best regards,

Hi @henrique.tx ,
I can not access to the serial port and load the easy installer

The red LED for reset is on. would be a good idea if you could test it.
Best regards,
Mehrdad

Hi @Mehrdad ,

Just to be sure, did you hold the recovery button for 10 seconds after powering the module in the Verdin Development Board?

Best Regards
Kevin

Hi @kevin.tx ,

I did, and it has a scary sound as well [the bee sound].

If possible, I would appreciate you taking the time to see and test it.

Best regards,
Mehrdad

Hi @Mehrdad ,

Can you give us a set of detailed instructions on how to reproduce it?

You mentioned you switched some wires. Can you specify in what matter you switched them?

So we can reproduce it on our end.

Thanks

Best Regards
Kevin

Dear @kevin.tx ,

Thank you for your response. Regarding the issue with the SoM, I apologize for any confusion caused. As the issue is related to the hardware, it may not be possible for you to reproduce it on your end without access to the same hardware.

To provide more information on the issue, I was working on UART2 and made a mistake when swapping the jumper wires that connected to pin 210 and 212. This caused the SoM to experience issues.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide to assist you in resolving this issue.

Best regards,
Mehrdad

Hi @Mehrdad ,

Thanks for the information.

Since it is only a single unit that seems to be affected by some weird HW issue, you can trigger an RMA here:

Are you now stuck without HW for your development?

Best Regards
Kevin

Hi @kevin.tx ;

Thank you for providing us with the RMA link to initiate the process. While the faulty hardware may cause some delays in our development activities, we do not have alternative units that we can use in the meantime.

Thank you for your concern and assistance in resolving this matter.

I filled out the form and please let me know where to send it for testing.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Best regards,
Mehrdad

Hi @Mehrdad ,

You should have been contacted by the RMA Department. Is that right?

We’re shipping you a new module so you can continue the development.

Best Regards
Kevin

Hi @kevin.tx ,

Thank you for reaching out to me. Yes, I have already sent the board to Switzerland this morning :slight_smile: and the shipping tracking number to the RMA Department. I appreciate your prompt response and for shipping us a new module so we can continue our development.

May I ask when we can expect the new module to arrive? We are looking forward to receiving it soon and resuming our work.

Thank you again for your assistance in this matter.

Best regards,
Mehrdad

Hi @Mehrdad ,

Sorry for the late response. I had some time off.

Did you receive that hardware already? If not, can you send me a private message with the RMA-Tracking number and I will check that for you.

Have a great week.

Best Regards
Kevin

1 Like

Dea @kevin.tx and Toradex Support,

You have been so kind to support me and I really appreciate it. It didn’t take so long and I received the new SOM :slight_smile:

Once again, I would like to thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,
Mehrdad

Hi @Mehrdad ,

Glad that it worked.

Thanks for the feedback, we’re here to help.

Best Regards
Kevin

1 Like