ApolloX project to build TorizonCore with evaluation containers

I know that the binaries for “TorizonCore with evaluation containers” builds can be downloaded from this link.
Since ApolloX has been growing impressively and it was born to simplify the development phase, I wonder if Toradex provides an ApolloX project to rebuild “TorizonCore with evaluation containers”.
In this way, this would be an ideal starting point to adding containers, customizing those provided, …

Thanks

Greetings @vix,

Could you elaborate on what you are trying to do exactly?

Do you want to customize the TorizonCore OS itself? Or do you want to change what containers come pre-packaged? Or is it something else entirely?

We have a tool called TorizonCore Builder that can do some customization of the OS: TorizonCore Builder Tool - Customizing TorizonCore Images | Toradex Developer Center

This includes functions like pre-packaging what containers will load on boot by default: Deploying Container Images to TorizonCore | Toradex Developer Center

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi @jeremias.tx
my need is to change the containers pre-packaged.
I think that I don’t need to customize TorizonCore OS (based on my needs, at the moment).

In the past few weeks I did some tests with the command line tool TorizonCore Builder and I was able to get the result.
Now I wonder if (and how) ApolloX can be used to simplify the life of our development team, without the need to work with TCB.
And I though (but maybe I’m wrong) that the easier starting point would be the ApolloX project for “TorizonCore with evaluation containers”. Then I can remove unnecessary containers, add other containers, …

One more question: if I don’t have to customize TorizonCore OS, can https://www.torizon.io with “Maker” price profile be used during the development?

Now I wonder if (and how) ApolloX can be used to simplify the life of our development team, without the need to work with TCB.

Isn’t this more or less the question you asked here: ApolloX TorizonCore Builder project template support for 'tcb bundle'

You can work with TCB using ApolloX. Though all functionality is more or less the same as it’s just an IDE wrapper for the tool. TCB is our only and recommended tool for customizing the OS and the pre-packaged containers.

One more question: if I don’t have to customize TorizonCore OS, can https://www.torizon.io with “Maker” price profile be used during the development?

I’m curious how you plan to use this for development purposes. Our Torizon platform is meant to perform updates on deployed devices in production. How would such a thing help in your development?

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Sorry @jeremias.tx
I should have written my sentence as

Now I wonder if (and how) ApolloX can be used to simplify the life of our development team, without the need to work with TCB from the command line.

Yes, tcb bundle is one of the features that I use from command line, and now it exists in ApolloX too.

I’m curious how you plan to use this for development purposes. Our Torizon platform is meant to perform updates on deployed devices in production. How would such a thing help in your development?

I asked because I didn’t understand 100% what Torizon platform is.
Now it’s clear that it’s not a development tool.

Hi @vix ,

Are there any open questions related to:

• TorizonCore Builder
  • Torizon Platform (torizon.io)
  • Or the available options of the “Maker” profile of the Torizon Platform

As long as you do not push a customized Torizon OS to the Platform you can use the “Maker” plan as much as you like.

Feel free to ask any questions, we’re here to help.

Best Regards
Kevin

Hi @kevin.tx

what is exactly the meaning of “a customized Torizon OS”?
Is this a TorizonCore artifact, rebuilt by myself (using yocto, as far as I understand) with some changes compared to the artifact builds by Toradex?

And so every other “customization” of the OS (in a wide sense):

• device tree
  • overlay
  • splash screen
  • containers

• does not create a "“a customized Torizon OS”?

A customized “os” is any image that does not come from Toradex as is. If you try our Torizon Platform you can choose what OS image to apply as an update to a device. By default we provide a list of TorizonCore images built by us. But if you want to perform an update with anything else then that is a “custom” image.

Therefore images that use a non-default device tree, overlay, splash screen, or anything else related to the OS is considered “custom”.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

1 Like

Thank you @jeremias.tx
Your answer clarifies the situation.

Glad I could help clarify.