Apalis-TK1_LXDE-Image_2.7b2 does not load LXDE

Hello, I am using Apalis TK1, Ixora board and Apalis-TK1_LXDE-Image_2.7b2. I successfully flashed linux image following this: Flashing Embedded Linux to Tegra Modules

I can restart module many times and it boots nicely. But if I try to update and upgrade packages, module hangs on the next boot. I only run “opkg update” and “opkg upgrade” and nothing else, no IP addr changes or whatever. Previosly I used image Apalis-TK1-Mainline_LXDE-Image_2.7b2.tar in the same manner, and there was no such a problem. The “mainline” image does not support some driver which i need, so I cannot use that image.

I attached boot log from serial console on remote:
log.txt

Can you please have a look at it and show me what I am doing wrong.

thak you very much for you help

Please see the note here.

Note that using ‘opkg upgrade’ likely leads to an unusable system. Due to the closed source X11 drivers the whole of X11 must use a matching version. opkg upgrade will update some X11 components to a non compatible version resulting in X11 unable to start.

Thank you, I missed that post. Now I did not run “opkg upgrade”. I only run “opkg update” and I installed minimum of packages: make, gcc-symlinks, g+±symlinks, ssh, and binutils-symlinks.
But TK1 module hangs again. So its not just about “opkg upgrade”, some of listed packages maybe cousing that too. So with that linux image I cannot develop right on the TK1 module, and with the “Mainline” image I cannot use UART2-4. It seems like dead end for me. Anyway, thank you for quick replay, I will try to developing it remotelly.

We are really not aware of any such issue. Could you provide some log files of what you do and when it actually happens so we may try to analyse more closely what is going on?

Log.txt from serial console is attached at my original question. If I can provide some other log, please let me know, where are they located, and I’ll post it here. My process to get LXDE not loaded is: I just flashed the image (not Mainline one). With the “Mainline” image I have not this problem (assuming I am doing flashig in a right way). Let say five minutes after boot I run “opkg update” and “opkg install gcc-symlinks” and finally “shutdown 0” and powered up the board again. Now LXDE is not loaded, but I can use module through serial console. Right now I am succesfully using cross compilation, so this problem is not bothering me any more.Thanks

While your log file seems to be limited to 80 character line length I can not really see any much extraordinary from that one. At least the DDC/EDID on HDMI seems to complete fine and it seems to end up enabled. Some further logging information which may be usefull:

1. Proper boot log (e.g. using screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200, assuming ttyUSB0 is your USB-to-serial connection to the target’s debug UART1 and then CTRL-A SHIFT-H to enable logging, the logfile will be called screenlog.0) Alternatively once logged into Embedded Linux on the target just use dmesg (and pipe it to a file if desired e.g. dmesg > boot.log).
  2. Output of xrandr.
  3. X server log file (e.g. /var/log/Xorg.0.log).
  4. Journal of last boot (e.g. journalctl -b 0).

BTW: Are you using the Apalis Evaluation board or Ixora and which version thereof?

I attached some logs, which I could find:
logs

xrandr returns: Cant open display :0.0

Sorry, I am not familiar how to get output of journalctl to a log file.
As stated in first post, I am using IXORA V1.1A.

If you cannot observe same problem as I have (with not loading LXDE on non-mainline image), after run opkg update, opkg install gcc-symlinks and reseting, than obviously Iam doing something wrong, maybe setting/not setting enviromental variables to defaults by env default -a command via serial port.

I attached some logs, which I could find.

OK, thanks.

xrandr returns: Cant open display :0.0

Then most possibly the X server did not start properly.

Sorry, I am not familiar how to get output of journalctl to a log file. As stated in first post, I am using IXORA V1.1A.

That could e.g. be achieved by piping its output to a file as follows:

journalctl -b 0 > journal.log

If you cannot observe same problem as I have (with not loading LXDE on non-mainline image), after run opkg update, opkg install gcc-symlinks and reseting, than obviously Iam doing something wrong, maybe setting/not setting enviromental variables to defaults by env default -a command via serial port.

I don’t quite see how that should have any much influence on the matter at hand but it definitely can’t hurt to be running with default U-Boot environment.

I believe I actually spotted the issue your are having in the Xorg.0.log:

[2941752.875] (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so: libnvidia-rmapi-tegra.so.21.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But why exactly you are seeing this I do not know. To further analyse this could you run the following for me and post its output?

root@apalis-tk1:~# ldd /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
        libnvidia-rmapi-tegra.so.21.5 => /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/tegra/libnvidia-rmapi-tegra.so.21.5 (0xb69f5000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb6978000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb683c000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb6829000)
        librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xb6812000)
        /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 (0xb6ef6000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb67ea000)

And maybe this one:

root@apalis-tk1:~# ldd /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/tegra/libnvidia-rmapi-tegra.so.21.5
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb6e68000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb6e55000)
        /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 (0xb6fc0000)

Just sending previosly missing logs:

journal log plus commands responds