Apalis iMX6Q 2GB IT Stopped working

Hello,

I wanted to know how can I troubleshoot the Apalis module.

It was working perfectly normal, then suddenly it stopped working.

I can’t see any u-boot log on the terminal when connecting the Ixora carrier board to the PC (it worked perfectly normal before).
I have another module that is still working normally with this same carrier board.

I also tried to enter the recovery mode (to serially download a program to the board) or (to detect that the NXP iMX6 processor is actually seen as a usb attached device to the pc) … But the PC did not detect anything. (This same board previously was used to serially load programs on it, and it worked fine).

I’m suspecting a power issue that might have caused this sudden freezing of the board. But I do not have any schematics for the SOM to trace where the issue is.

Do you have any advice on what to check? test points to check voltages, checking voltage/resistance on certain components on the Apalis SOM module?

Thanks & waiting for your kind feedback.

I wanted to know how can I troubleshoot the Apalis module.

It was working perfectly normal, then suddenly it stopped working.

I can’t see any u-boot log on the terminal when connecting the Ixora carrier board to the PC (it worked perfectly normal before). I have another module that is still working normally with this same carrier board.

OK, so your serial debug terminal connection/setup should be working fine then.

I also tried to enter the recovery mode (to serially download a program to the board) or (to detect that the NXP iMX6 processor is actually seen as a usb attached device to the pc) … But the PC did not detect anything. (This same board previously was used to serially load programs on it, and it worked fine).

By “serially load programs” you mean you entered recovery mode (e.g. doing bmode usb from within U-Boot or shortening the recovery mode pads on the module) and either executed our legacy update script ./update.sh -d in order to execute U-Boot or tried our new Toradex Easy Installer recovery sudo ./recovery-linux.sh correct?

I guess you did remove JP2 on Ixora and have nothing plugged into the lower X8 in order to use X9 for USB device connection to your PC? If you plug in your known good working module and enter recovery mode it does show up as a USB recovery mode device on the PC correct?

I’m suspecting a power issue that might have caused this sudden freezing of the board. But I do not have any schematics for the SOM to trace where the issue is.

We do not really distribute any such as the modules are our IP. Furthermore there are no user serviceable parts on the module.

Do you have any advice on what to check? test points to check voltages, checking voltage/resistance on certain components on the Apalis SOM module?

Yes, check whether your recovery mode setup is proper using your known good working module. Then do the same using the broken module and if it does not show up there is a hardware issue and it may be sent back to us for further inspection.

Thanks Marcel for your kind reply.

In response to your reply:

By “serially load programs” you mean
you entered recovery mode
Yes, I enter the recovery mode for the SOM module by shortening the recovery mode pads on the SOM. But I am no longer capable of detecting a USB device attached to the PC, therefore i currently cannot run any scripts such as ./update.sh -d or sudo ./recovery-linux.sh

check whether your recovery mode
setup is proper using your known good
working module

Very well, I will shorten the recovery pins on the other SOM module we have and attempt to boot u-boot over USB.

In case the problem remains, I shall proceed with the RMA form.

Thanks Marcel for your support!

Hello Marcel.

The other SOM module works normally under the same recovery mode setup I had for the other module. I shall go ahead & proceed with the RMA.