Apalis iMX6Q 1GB V1.1Y image boot load issue

Hello, I am a Software Developer at Hamburg. We are using Apalis iMX6Q 1GB V1.1B with our custom extension board for the Last four years. Our Yocto image is based on rockto revision, BSP 2.8 version, and Uboot version of 2016.14. Our yocto image works fine with Apalis iMX6Q 1GB V1.1B, but recently we have ordered a new version Apalis iMX6Q 1GB V1.1Y modules. But we are not able to boot the image that was working fine with Apalis iMX6Q 1GB V1.1B. I have checked the modification mentioned on Apalis iMX6 | Toradex Developer Center. Since we are not using the STMPE811QTR in our dtb so it is not the issue. We are facing the following issue with the new board Apalis iMX6Q 1GB V1.1Y. I am looking forward to your responce. Thank you

I have the question that can we use the BSP 2.8 on the new latest Apalis model version Y as it does not work fine in our case?

Hi @farooq !

Which method are you using to flash your image on the module?

The old method (explained in this article) is deprecated and Toradex Easy Installer should be used.

Best regards,

Thanks for your quick response. We have created our own flash tool. The flash tool uses a serial port connection to the Apalis module and flashes the image from the TFTP server using uboot. The flashing of image works fine with Apalis iMX6Q 1GB V1.1B but not on Apalis iMX6Q 1GB V1.1Y. Initialy the uboot works fine but after the step run setethupdate && run update. The above msgs appears on every reboot.

Hi @farooq !

In this case, you need to check the PCN for your current module:

You can see about Apalis iMX6Q 1GB V1.1Y:

• Temporary version with limited features, sold on request only
  • Removed STMPE811QTR touch/ADC controller and related components due to temporary component shortage
    • Seems like you have already dealt with this.
  • Replaced eMMC Micron 4GB MTFC4GACAJCN-1M WT with 4GB SkyHigh S40FC004C1B1C00
    • This might be your issue now. Since the eMMC size changed, you most probably will need to review the addresses that you use.
  • Replaced Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver: KSZ9031RNXIC with KSZ9131RNXI
    • If you use ethernet, please update to BSP 2.8b8, since this last version was release exactly to support the PHY change.

About the run setethupdate && run update, as you can see in the article shared in the previous message, this method is deprecated and should not be used.

Best regards,

Hi henrique !

• Replaced eMMC Micron 4GB MTFC4GACAJCN-1M WT with 4GB SkyHigh S40FC004C1B1C00

• This might be your issue now. Since the eMMC size changed, you most probably will need to review the addresses that you use.
      For this i need to change the device tree files ?
  • Replaced Gigabit Ethernet Transceiver: KSZ9031RNXIC with KSZ9131RNXI

• If you use ethernet, please update to BSP 2.8b8, since this last version was released exactly to support the PHY change.
      I have checked we have BSP 2.8b7 available only for the Apalis imx6 module. Here is the link
      toradex-bsp-platform.git - oe-core repo manifest.
      Thank you.

Hi @farooq ,

This is not something you would have to address in the device tree. I see that you are using your own flashing tool. The section below is from the PCN document describing the change a bit more.

eMMC changes usually do not affect customer software, however, please validate your
use case. The SkyHigh S40FC004C1B1C00 eMMC has a different boot partition size tha
n Micron MTFC4GACAJCN-1M WT. Since our config block is always located in the last
block of the primary boot partition, the absolute address of the config block changes.
Customers not specifically writing the config block or using relative addressing are not
affected by this change. It is recommended to review and test your software, especially if
you have customized Toradex-provided software or used your own software to take
advantage of eMMC-specific features. This change could furthermore also affect factory
programming.

The Toradex Easy Installer deals with it automatically. Below you find a link to the section of the Easy Installer that does the automatic offset change. You could try to integrate this into your flashing tool. This should then fix the issue.

Toradex Easy Installer Offset Logic

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Kevin

Hi @kevin.tx ,
I have looked into our Flash tool(uboot, serial port and tftp server). It is doing the same thing as flashing-Linux-on-imx6-modules is doing as described in the link Flashing Embedded Linux to iMX6 Modules. Now I want to update the U-boot, into 2020.07, currently, we are using custom u-boot version 2016. So i need to update the bsp from 2.4 (rocko) to bsp 3.1 (dunfell) or can i only update the Uboot ? For more information we are using yocto to build our image. I am waiting for your responce. Thank you.

Hi @farooq ,

In the link, you shared you can see a warning message by Toradex that this method is deprecated. Ideally, we would recommend avoiding it.

It is anyway a good idea to update the BSP, if you’re on version 2.4. At this point I would like to add the following information.

BSP 3 is an LTS version and was released in April 2020.
Toradex’s LTS versions are supported for 3 years as you can see in our Linux Support Strategy
This means that in one year’s time, this version won’t be patched and updated anymore, so you might want to consider switching to a newer version than 3.0.

In the short term updating the u-boot is also possible.
You can see here how to build a new u-boot.

And the sources can be found on our git.

Best Regards
Kevin