Am I misunderstanding intent/use of torizoncore-builder dto deploy?

My understanding is that dto deploy should allow me to deploy a Toradex-supplied or custom device tree overlay to a target.

However, when I use

torizoncore-builder dto deploy --remote-host <target ip addr> --remote-username torizon --remote-password <password> --reboot --device-tree ./linux/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx8x-colibri.dtsi device-trees/overlays/colibri-imx8x_vga-640x480_overlay.dts

I get

Downloading image from: https://artifacts.toradex.com/artifactory/torizoncore-oe-prod-frankfurt/kirkstone-6.x.y/release/8/colibri-imx8x/torizon/torizon-core-docker/oedeploy/torizon-core-docker-colibri-imx8x-Tezi_6.5.0+build.8.tar

The download may take some time. Please wait...
Download Complete!

Unpacking Toradex Easy Installer image.
Copying Toradex Easy Installer image.
Unpacking TorizonCore Toradex Easy Installer image.
Importing OSTree revision 302d3d0ed6bbb0639f341a24735fe59e0b7506241955ab4c87f77481aacb961c from local repository...
935 metadata, 9196 content objects imported; 593.3 MB content written           
0 metadata, 0 content objects imported; 0 bytes content written                 
Unpacked OSTree from Toradex Easy Installer image:
  Commit checksum: 302d3d0ed6bbb0639f341a24735fe59e0b7506241955ab4c87f77481aacb961c
  TorizonCore Version: 6.5.0+build.8
'device-trees' directory already exists

This seems a little puzzling, as I thought I needed the device-trees directory to be able to pass the device tree overlay that I want to add to the command.

What am I doing wrong please?

1 Like

Greetings @Sebtombs,

Please do not use the dto deploy command. This command has some known issues, additionally it was only designed to work with Torizon OS 5.X, I see you are using 6.X. Also there are possible plans to deprecate/remove this command in the future. For now please use the the other documented methods for working with device tree overlays.

On a final note, --device-tree ./linux/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx8x-colibri.dtsi this is not a final device tree file you used here. This is a *dtsi file thiat is meant to be included in other device tree files. Please see this article to learn about the different types of device tree files and their nuances: Device Tree Technical Overview | Toradex Developer Center

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Thanks Jeremias. The use of .dtsi was a slip-up - I can confirm the same issue occurs when using imx8qxp-colibri-eval-v3.dts

In any case, knowing that dto deploy is not intended for Torizon 6 is what is important.

For anyone else looking at this thread, I can confirm that the sequence of build, unpack and deploy (without dto) described in the same document as dto deploy - Device Tree Overlays on Torizon | Toradex Developer Center - does work. It is only the line in the current version of that document starting “Alternatively, you can use the dto deploy command” which is no longer applicable.

All the best,

Mark

Glad I was able to help clarify.