Adding locales and language to linux image build has no effect

Dear All,
I’m trying to add Polish language and locales during image build as follows but with no success:

I have downloaded recipies with command:

repo init -u http://git.toradex.com/toradex-bsp-platform.git -b refs/tags/Apalis-iMX6_LXDE-Image_2.8b3.111-20180626
  repo sync

I have added polish language support to the end of the file build/conf/local.conf

GLIBC_GENERATE_LOCALES ?= "pl_PL.UTF-8 en_US.UTF-8"
IMAGE_LINGUAS="pl-pl en-us"

ACCEPT_FSL_EULA = "1"

I have compiled image with command:

bitbake -k angstrom-lxde-image

First build failed but after change from inherit autotools to inherit autotools-brokensep in v4l-utils recipe I have successfully made an image. After unpacking image I can only see:

ls Apalis-iMX6_LXDE-Image_2.8.3/rootfs/usr/lib/locale/
en_US

So there is still no Polish locales in the new created image.

I have checked ipk and correct ipks were generated:

find ../oe-core/deploy/ipk/ -name *pl* | grep glibc
    ../oe-core/deploy/ipk/armv7ahf-neon/glibc-charmap-videotex-suppl_2.26-r0_armv7ahf-neon.ipk
    ../oe-core/deploy/ipk/armv7ahf-neon/glibc-localedata-csb-pl_2.26-r0_armv7ahf-neon.ipk
    ../oe-core/deploy/ipk/armv7ahf-neon/glibc-localedata-szl-pl_2.26-r0_armv7ahf-neon.ipk
    ../oe-core/deploy/ipk/armv7ahf-neon/glibc-locale-pl_2.26-r0_armv7ahf-neon.ipk
    ../oe-core/deploy/ipk/armv7ahf-neon/glibc-localedata-pl-pl_2.26-r0_armv7ahf-neon.ipk
    ../oe-core/deploy/ipk/armv7ahf-neon/glibc-binary-localedata-pl-pl_2.26-r0_armv7ahf-neon.ipk

so probably I need to create recipe which is installing it

Thanks for this information. You could install these ipk packages on the module and then check if Polish appears under lib/locale/.

Hi @jaski.tx already did it and locales appeared, and I can see polish language with X session

Ok, thanks for the Information.
According to the bitbake documentation, the language packages should be included in the image. I will try this on my side and come back to you.

hi, i have the same behavior when I did the build. We will check for a solution and come back to you.

Hi @kamil,
we found a solution. You need to append the language, this will add the language also to the ../locale/ folder.

Please add the following to your local.conf

IMAGE_LINGUAS_append = " pl-pl" 

(there is a space between the first quote and the word pl-pl)

Best regards, Jaski