7" Capacitive Touch Display poor contrast, viewing angle

Hello,
We are using the 7" Capacitive Touch Display (Capacitive Touch Display - 7 inch), and it would suit our needs just fine. There is one issue: The contrast is poor when viewing from the front (at right angle) and getting worse when viewing from slightly above. The contrast is much better when viewing from below. It would be perfect if we could get this contrast when viewing from the front!
Is there an adjustment, or is this how it is with this display? I understand that Toradex does not focus on selling displays, but other than this issue we don’t need anything else at the moment.

[upload|sHUvLyM16Oz7i7SkDOA0DQOIlNQ=]
Very good contrast when viewing from below: rounded buttons, the side bar is clearly visible.

[upload|LdzP9hWOw3isJEZSVt7QHbActUY=]
Poor contrast when viewing from the front (center): Buttons appear almost flat, the sidebar is not visible as well as when viewing from below

[upload|zfEvC7ThQF+4xWaUpN/VE+l9v4I=]
Contrast gets event worse when viewing from slightly above: It gets even hard to distinguish whether the sidebar is at top or at bottom

Thank you for your help!

Hello @kbraendle ,

What interface are you using? Are you using the recommended vidargs setting as mentioned in this developer article?
https://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/display-output-resolution-and-timings-linux#iMX_6_Based_Modules

best regards,
Janani

Hello Janani,
Sorry, I’ve forgot to post vidargs settings. As far as I know these are the recommended settings. I’m using:
vidargs ‘mxc_hdmi.only_cea=1 video=mxcfb0:dev=lcd,FusionF07A,if=RGB24 video=mxcfb1:off vid-eo=mxcfb2:off video=mxcfb3:off fbmem=32M’

Best, kbraendle

Hello @kbraendle ,

Thank you for your information. In that case, you are sure about the vidargs setting, you could achieve the contrast variation by changing the backlight and drive strength of the pixels. Please refer to this article here: https://developer.toradex.com/device-tree-customization#Pinmux_iMX6
You could change to a lower ohm value and check if that brings in the desired changes.

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,
Janani.

Hello Janani,
It may take a little while until I have enough time to try this out, but I will do it as soon as I can. Thank you for your help, I will let you know once I have a result.
Best, kbraendle

Hello kbraendle,

No worries, let us know if you have further questions.

Best Regards,
Janani