3rd party wifi/bluetooth module connection possibilities

Hi Toradex team,

I am planning to use Colibri iMX6ULL 1GB IT v 1.1 module for our project. We just want to know whether we can physically connect (or can solder specifically) any 3rd party wifi/Bluetooth module on this board where there is empty space for module connection as shown below image?

Screenshot from 2022-05-28 20-32-33

We saw there is a page https://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/wi-fi?page=1&per-page=8#tab-i-want-to-integrate-toradex-som-with-3rd-party-wi-fi-modules

This page is more like software supported by the SoM module. But question is can we physically connect modules mentioned in the artical on the above mentioned empty space?

We most likely planning to add CYPRESS module (For BLE mesh application) just want to check if we can solder this module or any other module which PIN out fits the empty space. We know that software support for other modules would not be there, but that is later question, first need to confirm physical connection.

We are planning to use this SoM because other WB SoM is in limited stock.

Thanks,
Gunjan

Hi @gunjanbhavsar

Welcome to toradex community.

We most likely planning to add CYPRESS module (For BLE mesh application) just want to check if we can solder this module or any other module which PIN out fits the empty space.

No,soldering on module is warranty void and not recommended. instead, you can mount it on your custom base boad.

Thanks @ashok.tx

The Idea of mounting on Custom base board is good. But the question is, do we have pinouts on SODIMMs same as on Empty space? For example, From the block diagram of [Colibri iMX6ULL] SOMs the i.MX 6ULL is connected via SDIO to on board WIFI/Module, so in case of [Colibri iMX6ULL 1GB IT] SoM where Wifi/BT not available, how would be the SDIO interface would be exposed on SODIMMs pinouts.

Please let me know if you do not get my point.

Secondly we can mount wifi/bt module on our custom board, and route the connection of its host interface to the SODIMM exposed interfaces (like i2c, UART etc based on the wifi/bt module support).

Currently we do not have plan to prepare for custom board because of time constrain, we plan to purchase the In stock items (SoM and carrier board) from toradex only.

Regards,
Gunjan

Hi @gunjanbhavsar

Thanks for the information.
We are checking at our end allow us some time to further comment on this.

Hi @gunjanbhavsar

As per the the i.MX 6ULL SoC Datasheet,it provides two SDIO interfaces. One interface is available as a standard interface, which is compatible with other Colibri modules. The second interface (USDHC2) is used for the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module or the eMMC on the Colibri iMX6ULL 1GB IT.On modules without Wi-Fi and eMMC, the second SDIO interface is also available on the module edge connector pin