>2 SPI slaves on Apalis Evaluation Board

This is a very simple question, but I wanted to make absolutely certain before committing to the Apalis family. The Pinout Designer (as well as the documentation for the various Apalis iMX6-based devices) shows 4 discrete SPI interfaces, each with several available chip selects.

The Apalis Evaluation Board only offers 2 SPI interfaces, each with seemingly one chip select (if I’m interpreting the Apalis Evaluation Board datasheet correctly). Is this correct? If so, I can still use GPIO alternate functions (which supply the additional SPI interfaces) with the Evaluation Board? I’d like to use 3 SPI devices (at this stage); 2 devices on SPI1 and one device on SPI2. Can I use CS0 and CS1 on SPI1 and CS0 on SPI2 to accommodate this approach (using GPIO alternate functions)?

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dear @jars121,

thank you very much for the interest in Toradex products and for using the developer community.

First of all, I would like to apologize for the late reply.

I have checked the situation described in your post: I think that there should not be an issue to connect two devices on the SPI1 using CS0 and CS1 and one device on the SPI2 interface, using the CS0.

Of course, as you also mentioned, since the CS1 signal will be used in its alternate function some SW device tree customization will be required and you will not be able to use the standard feature which has been assigned to this pin (UART_1_CTS).

In your final product, you can solve also this issue, using the alternate pin for the signal UART_1_CTS.

The Apalis Evaluation board offers the Jumper area feature which will allow you to disconnect the standard interface and easily create a quick prototype of your product.

Since you are already familiar with the pinout designer tool, I would like to mention that you can easily load the Apalis Evaluation Board configuration by using the command File->Load Configuration.

The Toradex carrier board configuration files are stored in the same package which contains the Pinout Designer tool.

I really hope this helps, please don’t hesitate to contact us again if you need further help.

Perfect, thank you for your considered and insightful response diego, it is greatly appreciated. I’ve built several of my own configurations using the pinout designer tool, but wasn’t aware I could load the evaluation boards directly as well, so I’ll definitely have a play with that.

Dear @jars121,

no worries at all, it is a pleasure!

It is a functionality which helps a lot to get familiar with the Pinout Designer Tool, as you can easily check the configuration with real hardware and that configuration can be used as perfect starting point to for your ad-och customization. This is why I recommended it to you.

Please don’t hesitate to use again the community if needed, I wish you a nice weekend!