Windows CE included License

Hello Community,

I have question about WinCe Licence included in a Colibri Module from Toradex because it’s not clear for me.

Here is an example with the VF50 :
On this page NXP/Freescale Vybrid VF5xx Computer on Module - Colibri VF50 I can see “Toradex Products with included Run Time License” and Colibri Vxx is present in column Windows Embedded Compact 7.0 and Windows Embedded Compact 2013.

But on on dev Center here : http://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/colibri-vf50-vf61-wince-bring-up#Flashing_the_OS, I can read " Notice that the license we provide with the module is valid only for Windows CE 6.0 R3. We provide images for Windows Embedded Compact 7 and Windows Embedded Compact 2013 but those runtime images will require an additional runtime license (sold by Windows Embedded distributors) to use them in production."

So, finally to use a VF50 on WEC7 in production do I have to purchase a license or not?

Thanks in advance,
Aurélien.

Hi aurelien,
We are in a transition phase. So far we delivered Colibri VFxx modules with WinCE 6 licenses only, however, we now start manufacturing them with WEC2013 licenses (we still pre-install WinCE 6)! We might still have a few modules on stock with the WinCE 6 license, but they should sell quickly and we start delivering WEC2013 licenses. We now updated our website accordingly.

Hi Roman,
thank you for this clear answer.

So will they no longer come with a WinCE 6? What is the best way to upgrade projects? Start from fresh project and rebuild?

My understanding of the Roman answer is the module comes with WinCE 6 pre installed (same as now) but the license will be Windows Embedded Compact 2013 Entry (backward compatible to run the module with CE6 and CE7).

aurelien is correct.
There is no change in the preinstalled OS. But we will upgrade the license, so you do have the option to change the OS to WEC7 or WEC2013 without the need to acquire the licence by yourself.