Why does it appear that LinuxImage4.0 drops meta-qt5?

LinuxImage4.0 in toradex-bsp-platform.git appears to drop Qt!

See commit: a36164e1f63793a337d40d688ae24a32c213ad25

If this is on the road-map, it would really be an issue for many people’s product.

Does this is change have anything to do with this Qt announcement? Qt offering changes 2020

Please advise.

Yes, we do recommend using Qt for device creation aka Boot2Qt. Please note that you may, of course, still build your custom open-source Qt image as before. Nothing changed in that respect really.

You are wrong. This is a major change to the fundamental thinking about what Toradex offers regarding Qt. This breaks my product. This breaks my CI. This breaks the entire OTA update infrastructure we’ve been using to deploy new software to our customers moving forward. This is going to be a major flag day for many people’s production environments.

What’s the point this change exactly? It seems pointless. Are we running out of disk space or something? I’m not. I’d rather my SOM vendor continues to support their highly advertised software products!

@marcel.tx can we please bring meta-qt5 back?

You are wrong.

I’m quite happy to be proven wrong.

This is a major change to the fundamental thinking about what Toradex offers regarding Qt.

Sorry, but I’m not aware that anything changes in what we are offering at all. Could you please explain?

This breaks my product. This breaks my CI. This breaks the entire OTA update infrastructure we’ve been using to deploy new software to our customers moving forward. This is going to be a major flag day for many people’s production environments.

I don’t see how any of this should have anything to do with us. Am I not right in the assumption that any and all the things you are mentioning above are your custom things anyway?

What’s the point this change exactly?

What’s the point of having random layers in there which we do not officially support and never did anyway?

It seems pointless. Are we running out of disk space or something? I’m not. I’d rather my SOM vendor continues to support their highly advertised software products!

But you may just add any layer of your choosing. What’s the point?

@marcel.tx can we please bring meta-qt5 back?

I will bring it up again to resp. stakeholders.

Please note that the first BSP 4.0 quarterly release ist not due until later this quarter. So none of this is finalized as of yet.

In the mean time you may also reach out to the Qt Company to get confirmation about what exactly you are trying to do.