I am trying to backup registry to USB from console.
(for automating update tool / backup/ registry function)
Based on update tool doc should this work? :
update.exe /s registry,raw,\Temp\registry.bin
Its not working for me unfortunately…
If I execute in cmd the next line: update.exe /s registry,raw,\Temp\reg.bin
It opens the update tool and nothing happen.
This is saving the registry to Temp for you?
Yes, it just works for me. Please see attached video:
I have older bootloader and update tool version and probably the older version works differently.
Unfortunately I have to use the older version.
The OS and bootloader version probably does not matter. What is the reason you need to use an old version of the update tool? You can copy the latest update.exe for example to the same location as your registry.bin is, and thus use the latest one.
For future questions, please tell us about your OS and tool versions in the “Specific Versions” section. We often need this information to reproduce your problem and guide you faster to a proper solution.
What exactly does not work?
I tested exatly the command line you provided, and it works fine for me.
Thanks, next time I will write about the environment.
So I tried the 7.9.0 version of update tool like you used and now the command line execution is working.
But the purpose of saving registry was to backup all the certificates what we can see in control panel / certificates.(which saved in registry backup previously). With the new tool certificates are not saved with saving the registry.
We rarely use certificates, so I have to ask more questions:
- Do you say you were able to transfer certificates from one module to another by backing up and restoring the registry, using an old update tool?
- The same procedure is not working anymore with the Update tool V7.9.0?
- If the answers above were yes, did you try to use V7.9.0 also for the backup?
- Can you give us a description how to reproduce the problem?
- If possible, provide us a dummy certificate for testing.
- Which steps did you do that worked to transfer the certificate?
- Which steps did you do which did not work to transfer the certificate
I think it is unlikely that the update tool version makes a difference to transfer the certificates. I would rather guess that cloning the registry is not sufficient. But I need a test case to prove my assumption.