Verdin imx8mm does not reboot after thermal trip

Hi @rafael.tx,
Thanks so much for your time on this. Just fyi we discussed this issue with @drew.tx, @andi.tx and @michael.tx on a call last week. Hopefully I got their tags right I had to guess!

• Shutdown might be safe for a device in an office but for an embedded device that might be weeks or months away from being serviced is not a good behaviour
  • I set the govenor to powersave at the start of the application anyway (1.2 GHz)
  • The application monitors the core temperature using the thermal zone you describe
  • We have added the behaviour you describe to sleep the system from the application when it gets too hot
  • I’ll respond on the ADC read errors on Verdin 1.1b - #16 by rafael.tx thread as well, here you mention having trouble getting over temperature, that is because your ambient temperature is low. If your CPU temperature is 66 degC at an ambient of 20 degC then at an ambient of 80 degC (the test for an industrial module) it will be at 126 degC.
  • We do not see any overheating in the loading test, I suspect the difference could be that my application is both performing the reads and running the CPU test on a single python thread as this is what we care about. I think that will be quite different to Linux managing multiple processes. Perhaps this gives us a clue that the race condition is inside Python somewhere.

Overall my position is still that for an embedded device to permanently shutdown for any reason is the wrong design. I can try to work around it in our application but I really think it should be a reboot.

Thanks

Ed