Using torizoncore-builder to update imx-boot

I am trying to update the boot container of my apalis imx8qm. It works fine if I flash my torizoncore directly through easy installer, but if I try to push my image using torizoncore-builder deploy, the boot-container stays the same. Am I able to modify this using this tool, or do I have to do it manually?

My method when using torizoncore-builder is the following:

1. Create a new torizon-core-docker-apalis-imx8-Tezi_5.7.2+build.20.tar with a modified imx-boot file
  2. Run torizoncore-builder build to build the tcbuild.yaml recipe, where I specify the use of the local image
input:
  easy-installer:
    local: torizon-core-docker-apalis-imx8-Tezi_5.7.2+build.20.tar
output:
  easy-installer:
    local: build_torizon_core
  1. Run torizoncore-builder images unpack build_torizon_core
  2. Run torizoncore-builder deploy --remote-host [ipaddr] --remote-username [username] --remote-password [password] --reboot

Is there a configuration I could change or another flag perhaps that could be used to make sure that the imx-boot file is updated on the board?
This is the only mention of the imx-boot file that I have found so far (in the image.json file produced by the build command):

{
    "name": "mmcblk0boot0",
    "erase": true,
    "content": {
        "filesystem_type": "raw",
        "rawfiles": [
            {
                "filename": "imx-boot",
                "dd_options": "seek=0"
            }
        ]
    }
}

Greetings @aleksw,

The issue is in the mechanics of how the deploy command works. When you use the command over network, it deploys only the OSTree of your target image. The OSTree only comprises things like the filesystem, kernel, device trees and such. Anything outside of this is not part of OSTree therefore it would not be captured by the deploy command. This means things like the bootloader and boot-container would not be captured by this.

When you flash the image with Easy Installer it flashes the entire image not just the OSTree related components. This is why you’re seeing this difference in behavior. So unfortunately, if you want to deploy your changes related to the boot-container, or bootloader you’ll need to do so with Toradex Easy Installer.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Thanks for your reply @jeremias.tx! That does explain it, but it is rather disappointing… Is there another way I could flash the boot-container only without changing the OSTree as is done with torizoncore-builder? For example using the uuu tool or something? I find the process of having to put the device into recovery mode, use the recovery tool to get easy installer, and then acquire my image with my custom boot-container, to be a tiresome process.

Hi @aleksw !

You can refer to the Wiki of mfgtools (uuu) in Github. It is surprisingly useful :smile:

Best regards,

Hello @aleksw ,
Do you have any updates on this topic? Were you able to solve your issue with the info provided by @henrique.tx ?

Best regards,
Josep