Update base container used in project

I am updating a couple of TorizonCore projects that were started using .NET 5.0, and they use the “50_bullseye” as the base container.

I have updated my applications to use .NET 6.0, and I assume that it would be wise to update the base containers to the latest 6.0 version as well. However, looking through the VS Code Torizon settings panel, and also looking at the various yaml files, I see many instances where the term “50_bullseye” is occurs – some appear to be actual settings (e.g. “platformeid”, “baseContainer”), others occur as substrings in names that I assume were created when the project was first created.

Two questions:

1. Is it advisable to update the container that is used?

2. What is the best way to do this update so that all settings are correct and all strings using this container name are updated?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Hi Peter, what is the Torizon Extension version installed on your current VS Code?

Current installed version is 1.4.0.

Hi @bcpberry,

We’re currently asking our IDE team if there’s a “good” way to do the project update from .NET 5 to 6.

In the meantime let me see if I can address some of your questions.

Is it advisable to update the container that is used?

This is use-case specific. I’m not personally well-versed in .NET. So I’m unaware if there’s any gotchas or caveats from going to .NET 5 to 6. Container-wise the main difference would be the .NET 6 runtime would be included instead of the .NET 5.

What is the best way to do this update so that all settings are correct and all strings using this container name are updated?

As I said we’ve asked our IDE team on advice regarding this. Though I do wonder if it would just be simpler to copy your code and configuration to a new .NET 6 project, rather than trying to change everything in what is originally a .NET 5 project.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi @jeremias.tx,

Yes, using the .NET 6 runtime is what I am concerned about. Given that 6 is the LTS version, I think it would be wise to to move to that.

The “create a new project then copy the code” idea had occurred to me. I’ll wait a bit to see what your IDE guys have to say, then, depending on their advice, I may just do this.

All the best,
Peter

I checked with our extensions team, and unfortunately there’s not a seamless way to do this at the moment.

Your best ways at the moment seem so to be modifying the existing .NET 5 project as you have been doing to make it a .NET 6 project. Or as I suggested try copying your code and other user configurations to a new .NET 6 project. Both methods are probably comparable in effort.

Best Regards,
Jeremias