Unhandled exception while loading firmware to M4 core of VF61 (Win CE 6)

I created a firmware for M4 core of VF61 and I tried to load it from A5 running Win CE 6.
I slightly modified Rpmsg_Demo example supplied with ToradexCELibraries 2.0-20170524 to match my firmware

//Firmware load address, must use system bus address, please go through this link(http://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/freertos-on-the-cortex-m4-of-a-colibri-vf61) for more information.
returnValue = Rpmsg_SetConfigInt(hRpmsg, L"LoadAddr",       0x3f000000,       StoreVolatile);

//Firmware code block size
returnValue = Rpmsg_SetConfigInt(hRpmsg, L"CodeSize",       32*1024,       StoreVolatile);

//Read ELF format and get entry point execution of the address, must use code bus address. please go through this link(http://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/freertos-on-the-cortex-m4-of-a-colibri-vf61) for more information.
returnValue = Rpmsg_SetConfigInt(hRpmsg, L"ExecuteAddr",    0x1F00163b,       StoreVolatile);

When I run the application I get the error

Load module: coredll.dll
Firmware file \FlashDisk\rpmsg_pingpong_example.bin
Loading code @ 0x3F000000 size 27248 Execute addr 0x1F00163B, code size 0x8000
Unhandled exception at 0x00014d78 in Rpmsg_Demo.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation.

I attach the firmware so that you can check what is the reason of the failure during loading.

In case it helps, this is the disassembly of the instruction which produces Access violation

I’ve just been informed that the bin file I attached to the first message works as expected when it’s loaded from A5 running Linux.
For this reason I think the issue is related to Win CE 6 and/or the library used to load the firmware.
It’s just an idea, but maybe Win needs to clean in some way the memory before loading the firmware? If Linux loads the firmare from the U-Boot maybe this is not necessary.

We tried here, it didn’t create an exception. Could you please share call stack. So that, we can easily know which function from the application is generated an exception.

If you are not using any communication channel on M4 firmware side, please don’t call RxThread on Rpmsg_Demo application.

It’s really strange.
Today the same firmware doesn’t generate exception anymore.
The “new” behavior is that the connection with A5 core (AcriveSync) is immediately lost and I can see that the display connected to the Colibri Module shows mixed random colors.
Is this the same behavior that you see?

I use a communication channel on M4 side.

I have no explanation for this change.

@raja.tx I was able to reproduce the issue and I can share the call stack

Is this helpful to you?
Do you need other info?

One more info: the same firmware, loaded through JTAG hardware debugger, is started properly and it waits inside

/* wait until the channel is established (rpmsg_channel_created callback is issued) */ 
env_acquire_sync_lock(callback_sync);

because Rpmsg_Demo is not running on A5 core.

I can share the DS-MDK project file to build this firmware from Toradex sources.

When we run the firmware with Rpmsg_Demo application, we are seeing
“Failed to create communication channel” error with this library version but could not reproduce the exception issue.
I have tested it Colibri VF61, WinCE6 V1.4.
Could you please confirm are you getting the same behavior?

Hi @raja.tx,
after a deep investigation with Keil, it seems that all the strange behaviors just after the load (crash, exceptions, …) are related to semihosting not properly disabled.
Semihosting is a word used by Keil, and it means that all the accesses to I/O (printf, …) are redirected to the host computer through JTAG connection.
Semihosting is enabled by default when you compile with Keil.
A firmware can be loaded and executed standalone only if semihosting is disabled.

If I disable properly semihosting, I don’t see any strange issue just after the load, and I can recompile and execute properly rpmsg_example supplied by Toradex in Keil DS-MDK 5.27.
This is a great success (compared to all the issues I had in the past).
Now I have different problems, but the issue in this thread can be closed because the reason is that when you compile with Keil, semihosting must be disabled following this document on Keil website.

Hi @raja.tx,
after a deep investigation with Keil, it seems that all the strange behaviors just after the load (crash, exceptions, …) are related to semihosting not properly disabled.
Semihosting is a word used by Keil, and it means that all the accesses to I/O (printf, …) are redirected to the host computer through JTAG connection.
Semihosting is enabled by default when you compile with Keil.
A firmware can be loaded and executed standalone only if semihosting is disabled.

If I disable properly semihosting, I don’t see any strange issue just after the load, and I can recompile and execute properly rpmsg_example supplied by Toradex in Keil DS-MDK 5.27.
This is a great success (compared to all the issues I had in the past).
Now I have different problems, but the issue in this thread can be closed because the reason is that when you compile with Keil, semihosting must be disabled following this document on Keil website.