Unable to enter Recovery Mode for an Apalis iMX8 module

I am trying to reprogram an Apalis iMX8QM 4GB WB IT module but cannot get the Easy Installer to start. I tested the same procedure on a different module and it works perfectly.

I noticed that the module that doesn’t work has some error messages in the Console and extra text relating to “Setting bus to 2”, both of which do not appear on a working module. I’ve copied the Console output below.

Any ideas on how I can reprogram this module?

Thanks!

U-Boot 2020.04-5.7.1+git.33bb8e968332 (Sep 06 2022 - 15:34:09 +0000)

CPU:   NXP i.MX8QM RevB A53 at 1200 MHz

DRAM:  4 GiB
MMC:   FSL_SDHC: 0, FSL_SDHC: 1, FSL_SDHC: 2
Loading Environment from MMC... OK
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Model: Toradex Apalis iMX8 QuadMax 4GB Wi-Fi / BT IT V1.1C, Serial# 07239463

BuildInfo:
  - SCFW 216a2c2e, SECO-FW c9de51c0, IMX-MKIMAGE 6a315dbc, ATF 2fa8c63
  - U-Boot 2020.04-5.7.1+git.33bb8e968332

switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0(part 0) is current device
Detect USB boot. Will enter fastboot mode!
Net:   eth0: ethernet@5b040000
Fastboot: Normal
Setting bus to 2
Error writing the chip: -110
Error writing the chip: 5
Boot from USB for mfgtools
*** Warning - Use default environment for                                mfgtools
, using default environment

Run bootcmd_mfg: select_dt_from_module_version && fastboot 0
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
We are in is_imx8
Getting phy ctrl

Hi @aunt_enna,

When you put your module in recovery mode and run the recovery script (“recovery-linux.sh” or “recovery-windows.bat”), does it works without errors?

The log you showed, is it from the Toradex Easy Installer trying to boot?

Reference: Loading Toradex Easy Installer | Toradex Developer Center

Best Regards,
Hiago.

When you put your module in recovery mode and run the recovery script (“recovery-linux.sh” or “recovery-windows.bat”), does it works without errors?

Unfortunately, it does not.

The log you showed, is it from the Toradex Easy Installer trying to boot?

Yes, that is the log that appears on the Apalis module in recovery mode when running “recovery-windows.bat”.

Hi @aunt_enna,

Sorry, I meant: when you run the “recovery-windows.bat” script itself output errors on your host PC or the errors you are seeing are only showing when you try to boot the module?

Best Regards,
Hiago.

The recovery-windows.bat script locates the module, downloads the installer, but then shows errors, see below:

Hi @aunt_enna,

Thanks for sharing the logs. Which version of Torizon Easy Installer are you using? And the same does not happen with other modules, am I correct?

Best Regards,
Hiago.

The ZIP file I downoaded was named: Apalis-iMX8_ToradexEasyInstaller_5.7.1+build.13

And, yes, this behavior does not appear with other modules – I am able to enter Recovery Mode and use the Easy Installer.

Thanks!

Hi @aunt_enna,

Sorry for the delay.

In this case, I suggest you contact the Sales manager you were in contact with to check if you can change this module for a new one (RMA). This should be the case here. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Best Regards,
Hiago.