UART4 on Verdin

Hi all,
I’m new to the world of Toradex and got a Verdin Mini. For my application, I need to use UART4 together with the other UARTS provided. Which steps do I need to take to make this possible?

I already found this answer but I am not quite sure how to get it working though. Can someone provide me some instructions on what things I have to change in what files and how to install the newly build image on my verdin?

Thank you in advance!

Greetings @rubmay07,

As described in the answer you linked you’ll need to change the “Arm Trusted Firmware” to not use this particular UART. What needs to be changed is already detailed in that post but as for the files themselves you’ll need to get them as described in the boot-container section here: Build U-Boot and Linux Kernel from Source Code | Toradex Developer Center

Make sure you use the right version of things. Once that is done you can then modify the Verdin device tree to set the usage of UART4 to “okay”.

To create a new image from all this however you’ll need to use the Yocto build system since you’re changing the low-level firmware. Once you have your changes to the Arm Trusted Firmware and the Device tree you can then create patches and apply them in Yocto. We have an article on how to build Torizon with Yocto here: Build TorizonCore from Source With Yocto Project/OpenEmbedded | Toradex Developer Center

Once that is all done you can then build an image and it will produce a tar file that can be installed with Toradex Easy Installer. Unfortunately due to how this particular UART is used, there’s no simple way other than this process to use it.

Best Regards,
Jeremias