U-Boot saveenv Command not Available

I recently purchased a few new Apalis iMX6 CoMs. The issue I am experiencing is that I need to make some changes to the U-Boot environment, but for some reason the saveenv command is not available. When I try to execute it, I get a message saying “Unknown command”. I know saveenv can be disabled when building U-Boot, but this is typically done for platforms that cannot save changes to the environment.

Was this done deliberately for this release of the Apalis CoMs? Is there a way to re-enable this command without going through the process of building/flashing U-Boot?

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen

Which Linux BSP version are you using ?

Are you running the said command via U-Boot terminal ?

Was this done deliberately for this release of the Apalis CoMs?

Yes, you are probably referring to the U-Boot 2016.11 from the Toradex Easy Installer 1.0 (Apalis-iMX6_ToradexEasyInstaller_1.0-20170605.zip) which is always using the default compiled-in U-Boot environment in order to be robust for recovery purpose and not intended for regular use.

Is there a way to re-enable this command without going through the process of building/flashing U-Boot?

No, just install any of our regular BSPs which include a fully functional U-Boot and you should be able to use the saveenv command again.

Yes, I am attempting to run the command through a serial link in the U-Boot terminal. Other commands (printenv, setenv etc) work as expected, and I can make the change I need, I just can’t save them so I have to do the same thing after every reboot

I haven’t installed anything on the module yet, so it is whatever version was put on there by Toradex. When I let it boot it goes to the Toradex Easy Installer. U-boot reports its version is 2016.11-1.0.0

Ok, that gave me the brainwave I needed! I installed the Toradex LXDE image, and that also installs a version of U-Boot that has the saveenv command enabled.

Thanks for being my rubber duck :slight_smile: (Rubber duck debugging - Wikipedia)

Thank you! I started to suspect something like that after typing up my answer to bhuvan.tx, and everything is fine now.

Regards,

Jeroen