Trying to install Ubuntu in imX8 apalis toradex board

Certainly! Here’s a rephrased version of your query in a more professional manner:

Dear Team,

I am currently working on a proof of concept that involves using Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on an iMX8 Apalis Toradex Board. I need guidance on how to accomplish this setup. Additionally, I require assistance with installing the gpiod, spi-dev, and i2c-dev libraries.

Could you please provide the necessary documentation and reference links to achieve these requirements?

Kind Regards

Hi, I’m the Toradex AI Assistant. I’m in early beta, and I would appreciate your feedback.
The Toradex Support team will follow up with you shortly!

Did you like my answer?

:+1: :-1:

Hello,

To install Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on an Apalis iMX8 Toradex board, you would typically start by preparing a bootable SD card or USB device with the Ubuntu image. However, it’s important to note that directly installing a standard Ubuntu distribution on embedded hardware like the Apalis iMX8 might require additional steps for compatibility, especially concerning bootloaders and hardware drivers.

For the Apalis iMX8, using a Yocto Project-based approach for creating a custom Linux image that includes Ubuntu packages might be more suitable. This method allows you to tailor the Linux kernel and include the necessary drivers and libraries for your hardware, including gpiod, spi-dev, and i2c-dev.

1. Yocto Project Setup: Begin by setting up a Yocto Project environment for the Apalis iMX8. You can use the Toradex BSP Layers and Reference Images for Yocto Project as a starting point. This setup will include the OpenEmbedded build system, which is capable of generating a custom Linux distribution based on Ubuntu.

2. Customizing the Image: Within your Yocto Project setup, you can customize the image to include Ubuntu packages. You’ll need to modify your local.conf and possibly your bblayers.conf to include the necessary layers and packages. For gpiod, spi-dev, and i2c-dev, ensure these kernel modules are enabled in your Linux kernel configuration and include the respective user-space tools in your image recipe.

3. Building the Image: Once your configuration is set up to include Ubuntu and the required libraries, proceed with building your custom Linux image using the bitbake command. This process will compile the Linux kernel, the selected packages, and any additional software you’ve included in your image recipe.

4. Deploying the Image: After the build process completes, you’ll have an image that can be flashed onto the Apalis iMX8. Follow the Toradex documentation for instructions on flashing the image to your device.

5. Verification: Once Ubuntu is running on your Apalis iMX8, you can verify the installation of gpiod, spi-dev, and i2c-dev by checking their presence in the /dev directory or using respective command-line tools to test their functionality.

Please note, this approach requires familiarity with the Yocto Project and might involve significant customization to meet your specific requirements. If you’re new to Yocto, it’s highly recommended to start with the Yocto Project documentation and

Please, also check if these links can help you solve your problem:

Train a Neural Network for Object Detection algorithm (SSD) for iMX8 boards using SageMaker Neo | Toradex Developer Center.

Hi @anchal.r ,

We do not provide support for ubuntu nor we have any instructions for that.
However, you can use our TorizonOS which provide debian containers.
Please read about it from the given link.