Trouble with mouse & keyboard in Qt Debian Container for Torizon example

Hello,

I and my team encounter problems trying to run an example from site: Qt Debian Container for Torizon | Toradex Developer Center.

We couldn’t set mouse and keyboard to interact with demo programs.

First steps in article finished successfully, but in the end we can only run example apps without any possibility to interact with them. No keyboard or mouse is available after running weston container and Wayland with example calculator and cube app. It is different result than shown in the attached youtube video(in article).

We where trying several configurations:

Base system installed by EasyInstaller: TorizonCore image with Docker runtime 1.1b1.329
Then weston container: docker run --rm -it --privileged -v /tmp:/tmp -v /dev:/dev torizon/arm32v7-debian-weston:buster weston-launch --tty=/dev/tty7 --user=root
Also wayland container: docker run --rm -it -v /tmp:/tmp torizon/arm32v7-debian-qt5-wayland:buster both run simultaneously.

Then we try to use torizon in older version: 1.0b1.158
also older docker containers in version from 20190828.

With the same result.

We also try another option from website: Torizon | Toradex Developer Center

Installation process completed successfully.
But when we try to run an example:

docker run -it --privileged -v /dev:/dev debian:buster /bin/bash

apt-get update
apt-get install --no-install-recommends vim-tiny python3-pyside2.qtwidgets python3-pyside2.qtgui python3-pyside2.qtcore

vi qtdemo.py
import sys
from PySide2.QtWidgets import QApplication, QLabel
if __name__ == "__main__:
    app = QApplication(sys.argv)
    label = QLabel("Hello Worldddd")
    label.show()
    sys.exit(app.exec_())

python3 /qtdemo.py

And the only thing after that was frozen terminal tty1 on connected to board display.

The only container example that runs ok with graphic and keyboard mouse was torizon/debian-lxde image.

Our configuration:
Colibri Evaluation Board V3.2B
Colibri iMX6DL 512MB IT V1.1A
External monitor connected to D-sub port
wireless logitech mouse
wireless logitech keyboard.

Most of commands were executed through SSH by Putty.
Keyboard and mouse work well with easy installer.

After that, we also install QT demo image for test if problem could be connected with our HID devices. That image works perfectly good.

Is there anything we could do wrong? This is our first contact with Torizon system. Could it be connected with recent changes in container repository?

Greetings @Lukas,

Yes there has been recent changes to how our Debian based containers operate. We are currently in the process of updating our documentation to reflect these changes, but these changes have not been published yet.

For the time being these are the new commands that can be used with our latest Debian containers.

For launching the Weston container you can use:

docker run -d --rm --name=weston-container --net=host --cap-add CAP_SYS_TTY_CONFIG \
             -v /dev:/dev -v /tmp:/tmp -v /run/udev/:/run/udev/ \
             --device-cgroup-rule='c 4:* rmw' --device-cgroup-rule='c 13:* rmw'  --device-cgroup-rule='c 226:* rmw'\
              torizon/arm32v7-debian-weston:buster --developer weston-launch --tty=/dev/tty7 --user=torizon

Then for launching a Wayland graphical application container:

docker run -d --rm --name=es2gears-container --user=torizon \
             -v /dev/dri:/dev/dri -v /tmp:/tmp \
             --device-cgroup-rule='c 226:* rmw' \
             torizon/arm32v7-debian-weston:buster es2gears_wayland

The above Wayland container will auto launch the es2gears example application. The command can be slightly modified to launch the “debian-qt5-wayland” container instead.

I tested the above commands on my i.MX6 and I was able to interact with the application by dragging it around with my mouse cursor. Try your examples again with these new commands and let me know if you run into further issues regarding input devices.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

@jeremias.tx Thank you for support, everything is now working as it should.

Perfect that it works. Thanks for the feedback.