TorizonCore RDP connection not working

Hello,

I’ve installed TorizonCore from the CI/CD feeds and followed this guide to activate the RDP access. Unfortunately, I can’t really establish an connection from a remote device. Same problem exists when using the “TorizonCore with EvaluationContainers” and stopping all running containers before following the guide.

It worked once using an Android smartphone and the RD Client app. But using two different Win 10 Pro based laptops, I never managed to get a working connection. Sometimes I get the security authentification prompt (untrusted certificate), sometimes I even see the Weston desktop. But it immediately fails with an unspecific error (see attachment).

Any help how to trouble shoot this would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Matt

Greetings @m.sauer,

I was also able to reproduce this issue on my windows machine. However I can connect via RDP with no error on my Linux machine. Also as you said it works for you via Android. This leads me to believe that this may be a uniquely Windows issue. Unfortunately I’m not much of a Windows guru so I’ll need to ask about this internally.

While I investigate this, do you require RDP from windows for your system/project? Or will VNC work as an alternative. I’m asking in case this takes some time to investigate/resolve.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Dear @jeremias.tx,

thank you very much for the quick reply. We definitely require this feaure so our customers don’t have to install any extra software on their equipment that will connect to our Apalis-based development. Windows RDP client is preinstalled almost everywhere.

We might use VNC during development, but for product release this is a show stopper. So it would be very important to know if Toradex is actively working to resolve this and if yes, how long it’s probably going to take.

Best Regards,
Matt

I’m still investigating this, all these online workarounds for Windows RDP don’t seem to be changing much for me.

However I just wanted to check with you, could you provide some logs. When you run the Weston container with RDP enabled you can access it’s output logs via docker logs. When you attempt to connect via RDP there should be some output about this in the logs. Could you capture the logs from one of your failed attempts and provide them here.

I just want to make sure that you’re seeing the same issues as I am.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hello @jeremias.tx ,

please find attached the log you’ve been asking for. I had to put it inside a ZIP file because the new forum doesn’t allow to upload log files. What’s the point of this limitation?

Apalis_IMX8QM_RDP.zip (3.1 KB)

Okay according to your log, you’re definitely getting the same error as me. Unfortunately I haven’t had much luck on my end so far. I’ve tried a couple of fixes I found online but nothing seems to help. I even tried different RDP clients on Windows and got the same/similar error.

Which leads me to believe this is a more general windows issue since it happens on more than 1 RDP client. I’ll continue to do further investigations please inform me if you uncover anything on your end.

As for the no log/txt file upload that is strange, I’ll inquire about this internally.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

@jeremias.tx

Did you have any success with your further investigations?

Unfortunately, it would appear that connecting to weston RDP from Windows isn’t the most stable thing. In my research I’ve seen multiple online forums users having issues with connecting to weston RDP from a Windows desktop. There are some reported “fixes” here and there but it seems there’s no one fix all solution.

Currently we don’t have a lot of customers using the RDP feature from Windows so there’s not a lot of information to go off of internally.

Best Regards,
Jeremias