Torizon or Embedded Linux BSP?

Hi

We currently use WinCE and an EtherCAT Master from acontis. For development we use the Visual Studio environment.

Now we want to switch to Linux in the long run (module probably an i.MX8). Torizon seems to be ideal for people who are switching from WinCE/VS. But I wonder if this is the right choice if we need a hard real-time application. Our idea: the real-time application runs in C/C++ and a web interface to display status information and control some basic stuff is written in C#.

I am reading in and testing two modules with both operating systems but I have the following questions:

1. Is it possible to run (hard) real-time application in a docker? Or is it possible to run application without a docker (real-time application) and the web interface in a docker?
  2. Is it possible to load kernel modules under Torizon?
  3. Is it planned to use VS Code for Embedded Linux in the future?

Though containers require some extra space on “disk”, an execution time is nearly identical to native performance.

Yes it’s possible to load kernel modules under Torizon

Please check this article.

Hi @TriUrs,

Please provide more details on which iMX8 are you considering

Regarding your questions:

1. Is it possible to run (hard) real-time application in a docker? Or is it possible to run application without a docker (real-time application) and the web interface in a docker?
R: No. Today the closest approach we have for this is by using the PREEMPT_RT patch for Linux, which will make the Linux behave in a soft real-time scheduling. This behavior applies for applications running inside the containers.
Please be aware that the focus of Torizon is to run and manage your applications inside containers.
@TriUrs, please provide more details about your hard real-time requirements.

2. Is it possible to load kernel modules under Torizon?
R: Please elaborate what you want here. Currently, in the case you need to have your own drivers loaded on Torizon Core (the Toradex Linux Distro for Torizon), you’ll have to use the Yocto build to create your own customized Torizon Core. See more details in this article.

3. Is it planned to use VS Code for Embedded Linux in the future?
R: As @alex.tx mentioned, VS Code is already supported for development of applications on Torizon. Currently it supports Python and .Net Core, but C/C++ support is to be released soon.

Best regards,
André Curvello

Hi @andrecurvello.tx and @alex.tx

Thanks for the answers and links.

1. PREEMPT_RT for Linux should be enough.

2. I need a kernel module “atemsys” from acontis. Right now I try to compile a tdx-reference-minimal-image and afterwards try to compile the kernel module.

Update: “tdx-reference-minimal-image” is the wrong image. I need to build “torizon-core-docker”

Since Preemtv works with Torizon I will continue with Torizon and test it instead of Embedded Linux.

Glad we were able to help. Always feel free to create another post if you have any further questions/issues when testing with Torizon.