Toradex Easy Installer without GUI

Hi!

For non-GUI applications such as embedded computers for control, is the Toradex Easy Installer the new preferred approach to flashing these types of devices as well? I find the current (now legacy) update.sh-method, combined with u-boot and fetching new kernels/dtbs over ethernet to work rather well. Will the legacy-scripts be kept updated?

I couldn’t find any information about this on Downloads & Installers | Toradex Developer Center.

Best,
Kristian

For non-GUI applications such as embedded computers for control, is the Toradex Easy Installer the new preferred approach to flashing these types of devices as well?

Yes, you may use the autoinstall property for exactly this type of applications.

I find the current (now legacy) update.sh-method, combined with u-boot and fetching new kernels/dtbs over ethernet to work rather well. Will the legacy-scripts be kept updated?

For the time being at least for stable BSPs yes, however any newer modules won’t be supporting this our-of-the-box and we may drop further such support for newer BSPs as well. Have a look at the following table.

I couldn’t find any information about this on Toradex Easy Installer Overview | Toradex Developer Center.

Have a look here.

Aha, I got some time to try it out and understand it better now. I didn’t realise that the Easy Installer is basically a pre-loaded image, and after installing an image the installer is not accessable anymore.

1. Other than the image install, the u-boot system is basically the same as with legacy images, so I can load new kernels and device-tree files from the u-boot prompt (for instance over ethernet/tftp) as before?
  2. Do I have to use recovery-mode to re-download the easy installer to access it? Would be nice if the image was kept and was accessible from u-boot for instance, so upgrades can be achieved without access to the USB OTG-port.

Best,
Kristian

Aha, I got some time to try it out and understand it better now. I didn’t realise that the Easy Installer is basically a pre-loaded image, and after installing an image the installer is not accessable anymore.

Yes, that is exactly how it is supposed to work.

1. Other than the image install, the u-boot system is basically the same as with legacy images, so I can load new kernels and device-tree files from the u-boot prompt (for instance over ethernet/tftp) as before?

More or less yes. However please note that the Toradex Easy Installer U-Boot uses a slightly different configuration and e.g. does not support any none-volatile U-Boot environment.

1. Do I have to use recovery-mode to re-download the easy installer to access it?

Yes.

Would be nice if the image was kept and was accessible from u-boot for instance, so upgrades can be achieved without access to the USB OTG-port.

I guess that would require a full blown update system however the Toradex Easy Installer is just a humble initial installer which was developer mainly to improve the out-of-the-box experience.

I understand. Thank you for the clarifications.

You are very welcome.