TFA9879 stopped working after update to Torizon 6.2

We have recently started attempting to use the sound system on our custom carrier board with the Verdin IMX8MP.

It was initially tested against TorizonCore 5.6 and was found working at the time. However, it is no longer functional and I don’t see any obvious reasons why.

I can tell the driver for the codec is loaded and working, (and that the devm_snd_soc_register_component call returns 0) but the simple-audio-card node doesn’t seem to be registering. In 5.6, we would see this in our dmesg output:

[ 4.545857] asoc-simple-card sound-card: tfa9879-hifi <-> 30c10000.sai mapping ok and several entries appear in /dev/snd

However, we do not see this 6.2 or 6.3, and /dev/snd only contains timer

Here is our DTS entry - it is very similar to the “official” nau8822 entry for the development board here
https://git.toradex.com/cgit/linux-toradex.git/tree/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx8mp-verdin-dev.dtsi?h=toradex_5.15-2.0.x-imx
and this entry has not changed between the 5.4 and 5.15 branches as far as I can tell.

sound_card: sound-card {
		compatible = "simple-audio-card";
		simple-audio-card,bitclock-master = <&dailink0_master>;
		simple-audio-card,format = "i2s";
		simple-audio-card,frame-master = <&dailink0_master>;
		simple-audio-card,name = "imx8mp-tfa9879";
		simple-audio-card,routing =
			"Speaker", "LINEOUT";
		simple-audio-card,widgets =
			"Speaker", "Speaker";

dailink0_slave: simple-audio-card,codec {
			sound-dai = <&tfa9879_codec>;
		};

dailink0_master: simple-audio-card,cpu {
			sound-dai = <&sai1>;
		};
	};
&i2c4 {
	tfa9879_codec: tfa9879@6c {
		#sound-dai-cells = <0>;
		compatible = "nxp,tfa9879";
		reg = <0x6c>;
	};
};
/* VERDIN I2S_1 */
&sai1 {
	#sound-dai-cells = <0>;
	status = "okay";
};
>$ cat /proc/asound/cards 
--- no soundcards ---

The simple-audio-card driver is compiled in to the kernel itself, so I am not sure how to go about debugging that.

Do you have any insight what might be going on here? Thanks!

I found the issue. Looks like the verdin dtsi being included was out of date and not enabling sdma2, which is required for sai1 to function.