TEZI device tree customisation

Hi,

Is Easy Installer’s dts/dtsi files available publicly? Is it possible to modify the device tree? Our custom carrier would need gpio modifications.

Thanks!

Greetings @tuomas86,

Unfortunately, most of our source code related to Easy Installer isn’t open to the public. Therefore custom builds of Easy Installer are possible on a case by case basis but, not something that is publicly available.

Could you tell me more about your use-case/requirements here? I want to understand why you require a custom Easy Installer for your project.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi, thanks for answer.

This is related to the other topic you’ve been helping me with (u-boot device tree). I was just wondering if there is an easy way in software to change USB OTG role change signal. Or alternatively change TEZI’s USB to be host only (dr_mode).

I was wondering if I build GitHub - toradex/meta-toradex-tezi: Meta layer to build Toradex Easy Installer images (without closed source qt-tezi and flash-wince), would it use the same custom DTS (modified imx8x-colibri-eval-v3.dtsi) I have in linux-toradex bbappend for our main Linux image, and that way I could build a non-graphical TEZI, with the device tree changes I wish to have?

I’m still trying to understand why you need such a customization in Tezi. Are you going to be using it for more than just flashing purposes?

I was just wondering if there is an easy way in software to change USB OTG role change signal. Or alternatively change TEZI’s USB to be host only (dr_mode).

Unfortunately this behavior is device tree based as far as I know.

With regards to the meta-toradex-tezi layer, honestly I’m not sure what would happen if you try what you’re suggesting. Custom Tezi builds are very rare for customer’s and it’d be hard to support any issues you encounter on a custom build like this. Also in production you’d have to then flash your custom Tezi, and then flash your production image. It seems like quite a hassle for a tool that’s only meant for flashing images, unless there’s a detail about your use-case I don’t quite understand.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

I just want to flash TEZI via OTG (works now) and then plug in USB and let it autoinstall new image. Latter part doesn’t work for us right now because USB is in gadget mode in TEZI. I understand you cannot of course support such unofficial changes. Thank you for all the answers!

tuomas86 I hear you and have similar frustrations. I have a board with an LCD that is different than the Toradex-supplied carriers so Tezi Installer out of a factory SOM is pretty useless unless I hook up VNC and go over a bunch of other hurdles. And no, Toradex, a development board is not suitable as a programming fixture especially once the product has been deployed.

For a program that pretty much just wraps around mkfs and unxz/tar it’s kind of confusing that Toradex considers it highly proprietary. I’ve gone the route of writing my own replacement for Easy Installer, if I were you I’d start exploring the same path.

Just to clarify, the USB drive with the new image gets connected to the USB OTG port I assume?

Also assuming the USB OTG port is the only way you can then plug this drive? There’s no alternative SD card or “normal” USB to plug into, just the OTG port?

As a side-thought is it not possible to install the image off a custom network feed for Tezi? I guess this depends on your infrastructure and production environment.

Final question, is this for flashing in development? Or flashing in production?

If this is the case I can understand why you’d need such custom behavior then. Let me do some asking around on the Toradex side and see what’s possible.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Plan right now is to use TEZI as a last resort recovery option when nothing but recovery mode works. And yes, we have only one USB port. SD slot we don’t currently have.

Unattended flashing over Ethernet could be a possibility if it works over RNDIS and Ethernet is not a hard requirement, it’s little ambiguous from the wiki but would make sense? If TEZI modification is not possible, we will look more into these alternatives.

Hmm I’m not sure if RNDIS can be used for this purpose. I mean as long as the device can see the HTTP web server I suppose the exact mechanism doesn’t matter. I’m not familiar enough with RNDIS to know if this is possible.

Though given your comment I assume your hardware doesn’t have a standard Ethernet port either?

Meaning this USB OTG port is the only practical connection for Tezi to use?

Also to clarify:

Plan right now is to use TEZI as a last resort recovery option when nothing but recovery mode works.

Do you mean you’re only using Tezi to re-flash/recover from bad situations? Or will you also be using this in production?

If you are only going to be using Tezi as a “last resort recovery option”, then why not use a Toradex carrier board to recover with? Since I assume the situation would not come up very often. Or am I misunderstanding your use case?

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Can Toradex please think about customers that can’t remove the SOM from the finished product. Yes the probability of a bricked SOM is minimal, but some of us in certain industries need a fallback option.

Greetings @lkoziarz,

I understand your frustrations and they are valid. Easy Installer is far from a perfect solution for all the different types of environments our customers have, I recognize this. However, I ask you please open a new thread for this kind of request/feedback. I’m trying to assist tuomas86, with this issue they opened.

It’d be easier for us to discuss your feedback on it’s own dedicated thread.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi @jeremias.tx,

Sorry to violate the spirit of the community board, but I’ve had these discussions in private with technical support already and they go nowhere.

I’m just warning off other customers that may be reading this forum that Tezi is not a solid deployment solution, there is no plan for it to be, and developers need to consider other plans.