TACACS+ Implementation in OpenEmbedded Build

Hello all,

This question is to see if anyone has any experience implementing TACACS+ on a custom OpenEmbedded Linux Build. I am using an Apalis iMX6Q IT module and a new requirement for this library has emerged and there is no OpenEmbedded recipe/layer already done for this. It would be much preferred if this library was built in to and installed with the kernel as opposed to after the fact. I know that this is kind of an obscure library and I probably wont get the answer I am hoping for, but if anyone can at least point me in the right direction as to where to start to make this happen, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi @morgan1361,

first, welcome to our community! Feel free to ask any questions that you might have.

Regarding your questions, unfortunately, I’ve never seen TACACS+ running with Yocto or any recipes about that. I’ve also searched layers.openembedded.org and I couldn’t find anything.

The only thing that I found was this repo: GitHub - kravietz/pam_tacplus: TACACS+ protocol client library and PAM module in C. This PAM module support authentication, authorization (account management) and accounting (session management)performed using TACACS+ protocol designed by Cisco.

As they described, it is a “TACACS+ protocol client library and PAM module in C.”. I think you could try to build this source code in your Yocto image to check if this works or not (you will have to install all dependencies as well), or try to build it inside a Ubuntu container and run it with TorizonCore. Maybe it’s something that could help you, but it’s not guaranteed it will work, since I’ve never seen this implementation before.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Best regards,
Hiago.