SVG rendering fragmented on Torizon using torizon/weston-vivante:2.7.2 and torizon/chromium:2.6.0 containers

Hi @bgo ,

Thank you we’ll make it public.

Please let us know if we can support you in any other way.

Best Regards
Kevin

1 Like

Hi @kevin.tx ,

Hope you are doing well!
Sorry to bother you again - I just wanted to check up if there are any plans on updating the torizon/chromium? We set our target architecture for the Apalis iMX8QM (currently using an Ixora Carrier Board, but will swap it with a customized carrier board soon). And we would like to make full use of the hardware acceleration including GPU rasterization. The currently available image for chromium is still Version 100, and I was wondering if there is a way to upgrade it - in case there is no updated container image planned soon.

Best regards

Hi @bgo ,

I am doing well. Hope you are too? Sorry for my late reply. Most of my team are attending the Embedded World which makes the response time a bit longer.

No worries, you’re not bothering me.
So, for TorizonCore 5: the supported container version is based on Debian Bullseye. We have no plans to update the container to a newer release.
For TorizonCore 6: the supported container version is based on Debian Bookworm. We are working on building a newer version of Chromium.

The repository for the Debian package is closed source. So it won’t be available straight away. Alternatively, we can share it under NDA and you could try to rebuild it yourself. Which is as I heard not such a trivial task.

Have a great day!

Best Regards
Kevin

Hi @kevin.tx ,

no worries, thanks for your reply!
I will wait for the TorizonCore 6 update as this should bring a production ready release for the Apalis iMX8QM anyways - same applies for the Chromium. As I understand, we will then change all containers to Debian Bookworm based ones?

I would really like to try rebuild one by myself, but it will have to wait for another time.
Thanks again, and have a great day too!

Best wishes

Hi @bgo ,

Correct! We have the following structure:

• Debian Buster: containers for early TorizonCore 5. Our Debian containers for Torizon use the tag 1 for them.
  • Debian Bullseye: containers for TorizonCore 5 LTS. Our Debian containers for Torizon use the tag 2 for them.
  • Debian Bookworm: containers for TorizonCore 6, not officially released yet. Our Debian containers for Torizon use the tag 3 for them.

For extra versioning info, there is the article TorizonCore Containers Tags and Versioning.

Have a good one.

Best Regards
Kevin

1 Like

Hi Kevin,

I am working together with @bgo.

The latest build Apalis iMX8, 6.2.0-devel-20230402+build.228 (2023-04-02) looks quite useful.
The latest Torizon Chromium Container with tag: 2.7.0-20220825 has the chromium version 101(New in Chrome 101 - Chrome Developers from 2022-04-26).
The version 111 (New in Chrome 111 - Chrome Developers from 2023-03-07) is released and recommended now.

Is there a configuration change that the next the quarterly release 6.2 will also make an update on docker hub to chromium version 111?
That would help us really. If not, can you give us an indication when there be an update to chromium version 111?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Mario

Hi @MWittig,

We do plan to eventually release a new version of the Chromium container based on Debian bookworm. However, not much has been done on this yet so I can’t say what version of Chromium this planned future container will release with.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

1 Like

I confirm that with new Chromium container 3.0.1 based on bookworm the SVG issue has been fixed.
I suggest to update to Torizon OS Quarterly 6.4.0+build.5 (or newer).

2 Likes

Hi @vix ,

thanks for your reply! I just updated to Torizon OS 6.4.0+build.5 and updated my docker-compose.yml to use torizon/weston-vivante:3 and torizon/arm64v8-chromium:3 and now the SVG rendering works perfectly!

Best regards,

Hi @vix and @bgo !

Thanks for confirming!

Have a nice day!