Slow application startup on T20 with WinCE 7

Hi All,
I’m using Colibri T20 modules in a custom base board. We experienced that application startup time got significantly slower on some modules. We are not sure if it is connected to the aging of modules. Our application is written in C#, and normally starts in 5 … 7 s. But on some modules, the startup time increased to 15 … 18 s. In order to investigate the problem, I created a very simple C console application which starts automatically, and sets a GPIO pin to high. The entire application was around 16 kbytes. I repeated the tests in Iris Carrier Board, and found that on good modules, the GPIO got active in 5 … 7 s after power on, but on bad ones, this time could reach 18 s. What may cause this problem? Did anybody meet with this problem?
Best regards,
Gyula Kovacs

We are not aware of such an issue. There should not be any component of the hardware (i.e. NAND flash) that makes the system over time.

Did you check once the CPU workload on the device in case the application starts slower? You can use the Colibri Monitor to get this kind of information.

Do you start the C# application over and over again? In this case it could also be related to the Garbage collection of the .NET CF slows down the application boot up sequence.

Hi,
I didn’t measure the CPU load when I did the GPIO test, so I decided to repeat the tests on modules with long startup time (SN: 02759737 and 04864254). To my biggest surprise, the startup times were OK now (see startup times). The T20_02759737_C__1_small and T20_04864254_C__1_small show the slow startup and the T20_02759737_C__5_small and T20_04864254_C__6_small show the startup now. Between the two test run, I did only two things with these modules: re-flashed the V1.3 system with NVflash tool and ran a FLASH write / read test which used the 80% of total FLASH area.
So, I’m confused a little …
Best regards,
Gyula

If you are using image 1.3 it is likely that you get a quite soon a lot of tasks for error correction or maintenance. Please enable once the debug output and check if you see a lot of additional output there. We highly recommend you to use image 1.4 and later in order to make use of the improved flash error correction bits.