Roadmap BSP 3.0

Hey Toradex Team!

Yesterday I saw, that there is a new BSP 3.0 announced at some point in the future.
Based on the information on this site, I have several questions:

Timeframe:

Is there any approximately timeframe? End of 2019? Mid 2020?

Distro change from Angstrom to Poky:

How will this affect the included system tools? For example - as far as I can remember - connman is not included in Poky by default. As we use many connman commands in our software, this will have quite a big impact on us.

Drop Legacy Update Tool Support For Next BSP Version:

This will mostly be the biggest impact for us, and to be honest: I’m not happy about it. You have been naming it “legacy” for a long time now, however a year ago when I asked, how to implement linux updates for devices already out in the wild and why it is legacy, the answer was:

That would be the Toradex Easy
Installer. However, currently, that is
only meant for initial deployment and
not really for any later update.

So you marked your old update procedure as legacy, while your new one couldn’t do the things, the old one could. So I’m asking the question again: how are we able to update the full linux system on our customers’ devices, without the “legacy update tool”, starting with BSP 3.0?

As a workaround for this problem, you say to “Stick to BSP 2.8.”. Will there be any security updates to BSP 2.8 after the 3.0 release?

BR Christian

Yesterday I saw, that there is a new BSP 3.0 announced at some point in the future.

Yes, with the first release thereof actually being 3.0b1. We are still in the process of further updating the roadmap.

Based on the information on this site, I have several questions:

Timeframe:

Is there any approximately timeframe? End of 2019? Mid 2020?

BSP 3.0b1 is planned for Q2, however, it will initially only target Apalis iMX8. For existing customers with already working products/projects the question is why exactly you would want to port your whole effort to any later/new version in the first place?

Distro change from Angstrom to Poky:

Actually from Angstrom to our own distro.

How will this affect the included system tools? For example - as far as I can remember - connman is not included in Poky by default. As we use many connman commands in our software, this will have quite a big impact on us.

In general, apart from dropping the Angstrom Distribution, LXDE, Qt 4 and support for T20/T30 and Vybrid no further changes in the feature set are planned.

Drop Legacy Update Tool Support For Next BSP Version:

This will mostly be the biggest impact for us, and to be honest: I’m not happy about it. You have been naming it “legacy” for a long time now, however a year ago when I asked, how to implement linux updates for devices already out in the wild and why it is legacy, the answer was:

That would be the Toradex Easy Installer. However, currently, that is only meant for initial deployment and not really for any later update.

Yes, just like the legacy update process which was also never ever really meant for any kind of production updates.

So you marked your old update procedure as legacy, while your new one couldn’t do the things, the old one could.

No, not really. So far we never really offered any kind of complete update solution.

So I’m asking the question again: how are we able to update the full linux system on our customers’ devices, without the “legacy update tool”, starting with BSP 3.0?

Good question, but the whole maintenance/update topic is simply outside the scope of such base BSP offering (e.g. just like buying a new car the servicing thereof is a completely different story).

As a workaround for this problem, you say to “Stick to BSP 2.8.”.

Yes, exactly. Why even bothering with any new BSP 3.0 if you are already up and running on BSP 2.8?

Will there be any security updates to BSP 2.8 after the 3.0 release?

Yes, minimally, we guarantee that it will keep working on future hardware revisions of whatever module types it initially supported. Plus we plan to do further long term support integration:

However, what you are really looking for may be part of our new offering Torizon:

Hi @marcel.tx !

Thanks for your answer.

One of the main reasons to update would be new Qt versions, as we are constantly enhancing our application, and there are some new features (and one particular bugfix) we are looking forward. The other reason of course is simply to stay up to date with security and bugfixes, as we don’t want to be part of the “Internet of Shit”.

I’ll take a look into Torizon.

BR Christian

Hi Christian

Thanks for you feedback.

Best regards,
Jaski