Remove Device Tree overlay applied by `:use-mainline-bsp` override

Thank you for sharing more information on your goal here. I just wanted to make sure I understood where you were coming from.

I had tried resetting the value in a device-tree-overlays-mainline_git.bbappend file, but that was applied before it was set to include colibri-imx7_vga-640x480_overlay.dtbo. I just flashed a version of my yocto built torizon derivative to verify. The device tree overlay gets applied if i set TEZI_EXTERNAL_KERNEL_DEVICETREE_BOOT = "" in the device-tree-overlays-mainline_git.bbappend file. I did verify that the bbappend file was being applied by checking the output of bitbake-layers show-appends device-tree-overlays-mainline.

How exactly was your bbappend formatted? I believe this other post has an example on how to override that variable in the bbappend: Adding custom overlays to Yocto image - #6 by lucas_a.tx

On that note, is there a way to have a custom machine ‘inherit’ the settings from a base machine? I think I slowly understand how to override things as they are (using .bbappend files and *-extra.conf files. I have not created my own machine yet and am not sure what I’d need to set up for a new machine to work the same way as the colibri-imx7-emmc.

We have an example of adding *-extra.conf files here: Custom meta layers, recipes and images in Yocto Project (hello-world examples) | Toradex Developer Center

It’s towards the end of the section I linked. The idea is not to create a brand new machine config. But, rather create an extra config file that gets included alongside the default machine config from us.

Best Regards,
Jeremias