Remote update service

Hi
I created a custom image, defined in a tcbuild.yaml (as described here: TorizonCore Builder Tool - Customizing TorizonCore Images | Toradex Developer Center). I use private docker images defined in a docker-compose.yml file and bundled with the bundle command. The docker images are private and not public! Till now I installed this custom image with EasyInstaller via USB-Stick.
Now I have the following use cases:

1. There is an old custom image on the device installed with easyinstaller. I wan’t to update a new custom image (inclusive my private docker images) via the Remote Update Service.
    As described here: TorizonCore Builder Tool - Customizing TorizonCore Images | Toradex Developer Center I unpacked the custom image and pushed it to the Remote Update Service. I can update the device but it updates only the OS image without the private docker images. My expectation would be, that I can push a complete image OS inclusive the Docker images/containers.

2. I wan’t to install a clean OS image and clear the application package. There should be the possiblity to “reset a device” or reinstall it. Is this possible in some way? I know that it’s possible with EasyInstaller, a Micro-USB cable and a computer. But I need to reinstall devices in the field.

3. I want to replace the existing Application package on the device with a new one. It’s possible to upload the docker-compose.yml as a new package but it’s not possible to force a device to update it. There is a warning that this application package is not compatible with the OS Image version.
    How to upload a new Application package with private docker images where the device needs private credentials to download these images? Or maybe it’s possible to upload the bundled docker-storage.tar.xz?

best regards
Tom

Greetings @syntom,

Let me go through your points here one by one.

1. First of all, OS updates and application updates are completely separate. If you want to update just the application then you need to perform a docker-compose update not an OS one. Please see the article here to see where the option for application updates are in the web UI: Torizon Platform Services Web Interface | Toradex Developer Center

2. Here you’re asking for a kind of “factory reset”, which is a separate idea from an update. Easy Installer clears the flash on the device and re-writes it completely. While our OTA updates just update files on the device. So a complete “reset” similar to Easy Installer is not possible. What you can do is update to a “clean OS image” as you decide what is your “reset” image. However it’s not possible to clear/delete a package via our OTA updates. You can only push a new update package with a new application package.

3. I’m not sure why you’re seeing this compatibility warning. An application package should be generally compatible with an OS image version. As for working with private registries and OTA please refer to the article here: Using Private Registries With the Torizon Platform | Toradex Developer Center
    Due to our current policies we only store docker-compose files not the container images themselves.

Best Regards,
Jeremias

Hi Jeremias
Thank you for the answers. I understand the concept now.
Best regards
Tom

Glad I could be of assistance.