./recovery/uuu: cannot execute binary file -- failed download in recovery mode Aster carrier colibri Mx8

Hello,

I follow the directions to enter recovery mode on iMX8 with Aster carrier board. This involves shorting two pads with a screwdriver while powering up. Get a blank screen (had to remove USB during power up, else would always boot into some broken desktop that is non-functional).

However, when using a macOS as host, when execute recover-linux.sh get this error:

Seans-MBP:Colibri-iMX8X_ToradexEasyInstaller_2.0b6-20201102 sean$ ./recovery-linux.sh 
Downloading Toradex Easy Installer...
./recovery/uuu: ./recovery/uuu: cannot execute binary file
./recovery/uuu: ./recovery/uuu: cannot execute binary file

Downloading Toradex Easy Installer failed…

Any ideas?

Hi @seanhalle,

I don’t think you’ll be able to use the recovery script on Mac because of the uuu being a Linux binary.

Can you try again using a Linux machine?

Just a little consideration for your test with Linux, is that we do not recommend using it in a Virtual-Machine, as USB enumeration can change during the recovery process, and the VM can lose the USB assignment.

Best regards,
André Curvello

Thanks, I moved to an ubuntu machine, and got this:
sean@dev2:~/Documents/Colibri-iMX8X_ToradexEasyInstaller_2.0b6-20201102$ ./recovery-linux.sh
Downloading Toradex Easy Installer…
[sudo] password for sean:
uuu (Universal Update Utility) for nxp imx chips – libuuu_1.4.43-0-ga9c099a

Success 0 Failure 0 Wait for Known USB Device Appear…

It never finishes…
I followed the directions for recovery mode for MX8 Calibri on this page:

When power on, get a black screen… but the card is never detected…
did lsusb and saw that the card is seen by USB:
sean@dev2:~$ sudo lsusb
[sudo] password for sean:
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 007: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

After about 5min, the linux boot sequence starts, and ends up with blank gray screen:
alt text

Looks like you have a Toradex Minimal Reference image successfully flashed. Have you had any SD card inserted into Aster board?

Could you please start from scratch:

• Load Toradex Easy installer form here and unpack it in to new directory.

• Put module in a recovery mode and load Toradex Easy installer over USB OTG

• Please save and share both logs from your Linux machine where you run recovery-linux.sh and from an Aster serial debug port.