Qt4e-demo-image on VF50 is to large. How can I adjust manually?

hello dear support team,
I have a colibri VF50 and would like to run a qt application on it ( Qt Creator to cross compile - Embedded Linux ) .

I have entered the following commands (Ubuntu 16.04):

sudo apt install build-essential -y
sudo apt install qt4-default qtcreator -y
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install g++-5-multilib -y
sudo apt-get install curl dosfstools gawk g++-multilib gcc-multilib lib32z1-dev libcrypto++9v5:i386 libcrypto++-dev:i386 liblzo2-dev:i386 lzop libsdl1.2-dev libstdc++-5-dev:i386 libusb-1.0-0:i386 libusb-1.0-0-dev:i386 uuid-dev:i386 texinfo chrpath git -y
cd /usr/lib; sudo ln -s libcrypto++.so.9.0.0 libcryptopp.so.6
cd ~
mkdir ~/bin
export PATH=~/bin:$PATH
curl http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > ~/bin/repo
chmod a+x ~/bin/repo
git config --global user.name "XXX"
git config --global user.email XXX
mkdir oe-core
cd oe-core
repo init -u http://git.toradex.com/toradex-bsp-platform.git -b LinuxImageV2.8
repo sync
. export
nano conf/local.conf
    select: MACHINE ?= "colibri-vf"
    add: ACCEPT_FSL_EULA = "1"
cd ~/oe-core
. export
bitbake -k qt4e-demo-image
bitbake -k meta-toolchain-qte
../deploy/sdk/angstrom-glibc-x86_64-armv7at2hf-vfp-neon-toolchain-qte-v2014.12.sh
. /usr/local/oecore-x86_64/environment-setup-armv7at2hf-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi
echo $OE_QMAKE_CXX
/usr/local/oecore-x86_64/sysroots/x86_64-angstromsdk-linux/usr/bin/qt5/qmake
. /usr/local/oecore-x86_64/environment-setup-armv7at2hf-neon-angstrom-linux-gnueabi
qtcreator

i have flashed the image on a SD-card und put it into my colibri-evaluation board with colibri VF50.

run setupdate

run upate

flashing always stuck at “reading colibri_vf/ubifs.img”.

Of course, I also tried the following:

nand erase.part ubi

i know that the image is to large for VF50 ( Flashing Colibri VF50 - Toradex Community )

How can i adjust the image manually e.g. by removing packages/features ???

best regards
stsemant

hi @stsemant

Could you provide the software version of your module?

Best regards,
Jaski

Unfortunately, I do not know exactly what you mean by software version of the module, so I write everything that comes to mind:

# U-Boot 2016.11-2.8.6+g83a53c1 
# LinuxImageV2.8 
# backports-kernel-module ... colibri_vf 4.19-r0 
# kernel-module ... colibri_vf 4.4+git0+6f01eb5bf8-r0 
# qt4-embedded ... armv7ahf-neon 4.8.7-r0 
# util-linux ... armv7at2hf-neon 2.30-r0

Hi
Thanks for the information. Actually you can check the software version with ( uname -a )?

I would suggest you to use build the console image and just add the packages you need for QT.

Best regards,
Jaski

That way, I can not verify the software version of the qt4e-demo-image because the VF50 gets stuck in the boot process.

May I like to use the console-image ( console-tdx-image ) and add the QT packages I need.

Can you please tell me how to add these QT packages before creating the image? And which packages do I need for QT4 and which packages QT5?

May I like to use the console-image ( console-tdx-image ) and add the QT packages I need.

Sure, you can do this?

Can you please tell me how to add these QT packages before creating the image? And which packages do I need for QT4 and which packages QT5?

You need to edit the local.conf and add the following line with the package you want to include in the image:

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " qt-package-to-install"

You can find the QT4 packages here and the Qt5 packages are at this link and build a console image.
Alternatively you can also build an angstrom-qt-x11-image or an angstrom-qt5-x11-image

Best regards,
Jaski

Sure, you can do this?
Yes, I’m sure I can. After all, you said that to me:
I would suggest you to use build the console image and just add the packages you need for QT.
:wink:

Thank you very much. Now I know which packages are there and how to add them. But which packages do I need to get a QT application running on a Colibri VF50?

Alternatively you can also build an angstrom-qt-x11-image or an angstrom-qt5-x11-image

By the way, the angstrom-qt-x11-image, just like the qt4e-demo-image, is too large for the vf50 module. After the command “run update” it gets stuck with the message “reading colibri_vf/ubifs.img”

That’s true. Alternatively you can put the image on a SD and boot from there as explained here.
Depending on your requirement, you can also buy a module with larger flash size.

Best regards,
Jaski

Thanks for the hint, that was very helpful!
I packed the demo with the wic-package on an SD card and started the VF50 with the command from the SD-Card. Furthermore, I ordered the VF61, so that there the demo completely fits.

Perfect that the solution with SD card worked. Thanks for the feedback.

Best regards,
Jaski