Please recommend a USB to Ethernet product that works on the iMX6ULL WIFI+Bluetoot IT

I’ve checked Colibri Kernel 2.8b works fine with WIFI and Blutooth on iMX6ULL. But I have a cheap Chinese USB to Ethernet and it doesn’t work with this Kernel. For use this USB to Ethernet, I have to change the Kernel here.
I already spend more 1 week for changing a Kerenl here and I don’t want to waste my time. Actually, I don’t want to use custom Kernel because if I change the kernel, I saw the other problems. So I need stable USB to Ethernet module.

Conclusively, I have to use WIFI, Bluetooth, and USB to Ethernet. Please let me know which product of USB to Etherner is working with iMX6ULL. Please suggest a proven USB to Ethernet. I read one article that you are selling one USB to Ethernet in Toradex mall but I couldn’t find it. Please let me know the exact product.

Hi @HansKim72 , regarding the device we sell, I’m afraid we don’t sell any USB to Ethernet. I believe you refer to the LM816 USB, but this is a simple WiFi USB dongle:

Additionally, you have more info about WiFi compatible devices here: High performance, low power Embedded Computing Systems | Toradex Developer Center

Coming back to the topic, we recommend any USB to Ethernet adapter with an Intel chip, however, I’m currently checking if this works out-of-the-box in our BSP as I’m not 100% sure. If you have easy access to one, I kindly suggest you try it.

Sorry I cannot give you a more complete answer at the moment. We are also still checking on the backports issue and we are looking to update the documentation accordingly.

Thanks as always and kind regards,
Alvaro.

Hi again @HansKim72, I was further checking this and it seems that most the USB to Ethernet adapters are not added to our 2.8 BSP by default. You can further check the available options in make menuconfig -> Device drivers -> Network device support -> USB Network adapters. In particular, these are added as kernel modules, but you can definitely this directly into the kernel after you changed the whole “USB Network Adapters” subsystem to be included as well.

In particular, adapters with the RTL8153 seem to be a good and inexpensive option, but you would have to make some kernel changes to add this

We are currently working on having the backports documentation updated and perfectly working, so I suggest using one of these, make the needed changes to the kernel, test it as we finish the documentation. Then you can add the BT and WiFi changes.

Thanks as always and kind regards,
Alvaro.

Dear Alvaro,
I’m saying again that if I modify the kernel, then bluetooth is not working. This is a big problem. I’m using Molex 2042811100 and Molex 1461531100 for WIFI and bluetooth. You recommended these modules on 3 October.

When are you expected to finish modifying the backports documentation? I will test my USB to Ethernet adapter again or RTL8153 adapter when the backports modification is completed.

Dear @HansKim72,

I’m saying again that if I modify the kernel, then bluetooth is not working. This is a big problem

Yes, we are fully aware of that, but be sure that we are working to solve that and update the documentation, as anyone should definitely be able to make this changes: You should be able to add drivers and change the kernels in a normal case.

I’m using Molex 2042811100 and Molex 1461531100 for WIFI and bluetooth. You recommended these modules on 3 October.

For modules do you mean antennas? Yes, these Moles antennas are (still) recommended to use in addition for the on-board WiFi chip on the Colibri iMX6ULL, but in this case I was offering a USB-to-Ethernet solution, which I believe it was your initial question. Sorry if it was unclear. More info about these antennas.

When are you expected to finish modifying the backports documentation? I will test my USB to Ethernet adapter again or RTL8153 adapter when the backports modification is completed.

Hard to tell to be completely honest, but I’m in constant communication with the team to get this done as soon as possible. It is, indeed, quite an issue if we cannot have customers change the kernel or customize their modules AND lose BT/WiFi in the process, so hopefully we can have this checked and done within the following days/weeks.

As a matter of fact, you may as well try using the Yocto Project compilation, and also modify the kernel through there. Correct backports and kernel module should be managed by building process. It is a little overkill for “simple” kernel customization, but it is worth a try and should work. You have more info about the process in this link.

Hi.
How’s going on?
Best regards,
Hans.

Hi @HansKim72 , we are currently checking the issue and we hope to have this soon. Kindly wait a bit more, please. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi @HansKim72,
we updated the instructions in the article backports integration. Could you check if this works for you?

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi,
Could you share your updated instruction for me? Previously, I solved the issue from Yocto but I have to change dts file at the moment but I don’t find the point in Yocto for dts. I have to use kernel and backports.

Hi @HansKim72 , here you go: