Nightly BSP produces an error to populate sdk_ext for AM62

I have tested nightly BSP with iMX6UUL to produce extended SDK (populate_sdk_ext) which works fine.

But same command yields an error for Machine AM62:
bitbake tdx-reference-minimal-image -c populate_sdk_ext

ERROR: Task (mc:k3r5:/home/mfid/development/toradex-nightly/build/tmp/work/verdin_am62-tdx-linux/tdx-reference-minimal-image/1.0-r0/sdk-ext/image/tmp-renamed-sdk/layers/meta-ti/meta-ti-bsp/recipes-bsp/ti-sci-fw/ti-sci-fw_git.bb:do_fetch) failed with exit code 'setscene ignore_tasks'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 8305 tasks of which 6666 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Summary: 1 task failed:
  mc:k3r5:/home/mfid/development/toradex-nightly/build/tmp/work/verdin_am62-tdx-linux/tdx-reference-minimal-image/1.0-r0/sdk-ext/image/tmp-renamed-sdk/layers/meta-ti/meta-ti-bsp/recipes-bsp/ti-sci-fw/ti-sci-fw_git.bb:do_fetch
Summary: There were 314 WARNING messages.
Summary: There was 1 ERROR message, returning a non-zero exit code.
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/mfid/development/toradex-nightly/build/tmp/work/verdin_am62-tdx-linux/tdx-reference-minimal-image/1.0-r0/temp/log.do_populate_sdk_ext.105734
ERROR: Task (/home/mfid/development/toradex-nightly/build/../layers/meta-toradex-demos/recipes-images/images/tdx-reference-minimal-image.bb:do_populate_sdk_ext) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 7945 tasks of which 7823 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.
NOTE: Writing buildhistory
NOTE: Writing buildhistory took: 6 seconds
NOTE: Writing buildhistory
NOTE: Writing buildhistory took: 6 seconds

Summary: 1 task failed:
  /home/mfid/development/toradex-nightly/build/../layers/meta-toradex-demos/recipes-images/images/tdx-reference-minimal-image.bb:do_populate_sdk_ext
Summary: There were 3 WARNING messages.
Summary: There was 1 ERROR message, returning a non-zero exit code.

Hello @Fide ,
Thanks for letting us know.
Please note that nightly builds are not tested, as we say in our developer website.

Best regards,
Josep

@josep.tx,

I have tried with default repo instead of nightly build with the below commands but got exact same error:

mkdir toradex_default
cd toradex_default
repo init -u git://git.toradex.com/toradex-manifest.git -b kirkstone-6.x.y -m tdxref/default.xml
repo sync
. export
nano conf/local.conf and comment out MACHINE ?= "verdin-am62" section
bitbake tdx-reference-minimal-image -c populate_sdk_ext

Hi @Fide

Unfortunately, the ext_sdk is often not well supported by meta layers. Here the issue most likely comes from the meta-ti layer. I would recommend you to use the standard sdk instead of the ext_sdk if somehow possible for your usecase.

I assume you can produce a minimal image right?

bitbake tdx-reference-minimal-image

If you need the ext_sdk, then can you share the whole log file which is referenced?

/home/mfid/development/toradex-nightly/build/tmp/work/verdin_am62-tdx-linux/tdx-reference-minimal-image/1.0-r0/temp/log.do_populate_sdk_ext.105734

What happens if you remove the recipe entirely from IMAGE_INSTALL by adding the following to local.conf:

IMAGE_INSTALL:remove = " ti-sci-fw"

Regards,
Stefan

Hi @stefan_e.tx,

Yes I can produce the minimal image using bitbake tdx-reference-minimal-image without any errors. The issue is only with populate_sdk_ext.

Adding IMAGE_INSTALL:remove = " ti-sci-fw" into conf/local.conf didn’t change the error.

Please check attached log file as you requested.
log.do_populate_sdk_ext.110904 (2.9 MB)

Thanks.

Hi @Fide

Unfortunately, I don’t think there is an easy solution for this… This is related to the multi-config stuff used by ti for the am62. Most likely this is even a bug in Yocto itself.

I was able to get rid of the first error by doing the following:

BB_SETSCENE_ENFORCE_IGNORE_TASKS:append = " ti-sci-fw:do_fetch ti-sci-fw:do_unpack"

But then there comes the next failure because of glibc, etc. You can try to enforce the ignoring for all of the failures but most likely this will have some bad side effects.

Eventually, this will be fixed in a future version of the BSP but unfortunately, the Extensible SDK is not a high priority for us. Sorry about that. If you want to develop applications I recommend using the “normal” SDK: Linux SDKs | Toradex Developer Center

Regards,
Stefan

1 Like