Natively compile Linux kernel error on ubuntu14.04 for tk1

Hi jaski

Thank you very much for your attention but I don’t understand what to do in UMS feature, would you please help me step by step in simple format

Best Regards

Hi @toradexvision

Ok, actually you need to copy the zImage and the devicetree to the boot partition.

One easy way to do this, which is very handy for just changing the kernel on module is the following:

First you need to copy the compiled kernel to a USB stick or other media of your choice which can be accessed from your host.

For this you need to make a connection between the connector X9 of Ixora and your host and remove the JP2. Then you will bootup the module and stop in U-Boot. Once you are in U-Boot, then you type ums 0 mmc 0. This will mount the boot and RFS Partition of the module in your Host as folders. Once you see these folders, then you should copy the kernel and device-tree to the boot partition.
Once you did this, you have to unmount the folder and stop the UMS connection in U-Boot.
Reboot the module.

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi

Thank you for everything i will check it

Best Regards

You are welcome. Let us know your results.

Hi Jaski

excuse me for lot of my questions

to execute the zImage copy process , after removing JP2 and use a usb connections between ixora(x9) and host pc,do i need to short circuit pins 2 and 3 from JP4 on the Ixora board with a jumper?

and for stoping in U-boot do i need a serial port connection between ixora(x22) and my host PC serial port?

and if the answer is yes what program is better as terminal program (like hyper terminal in windows) in my host UBUNTU to stop in U-boot?

Best Regards

HI

host pc,do i need to short circuit pins 2 and 3 from JP4 on the Ixora board with a jumper?

No, You need to stop in U-Boot and don’t go to recovery mode.

for stoping in U-boot do i need a serial port connection between ixora(x22) and my host PC serial port?

Yes.

what program is better as terminal program (like hyper terminal in windows) in my host UBUNTU to stop in U-boot?

Please have a look here.

Best regards,
Jaski

hi

i get a little bit confused for stoping in U-boot and copy the generated zimage to apalis tk1 …
should i use usb(x9) connection and rs232(x22) connection from tk1 to my host simultaneously?
is it true that to stop in UBoot , i should use x22 ,GTKterm (host side) and rs232 cross cable and to copy zimage from host to tk1 i should use x9 and usb connection?

Best Regards

Yes, that’s correct.

Best regards,
Jaski

Hi
i connected x22 on ixora to my host by a cable according to following wiring

host rs232 TX pin 3–>ixora X22 pin3 (RX)

host rs232 RX pin 2–>ixora X22 pin5 (TX)

host GND pin5 -->ixora X22 pin9(GND)

and when execute GTKterm on host and power ON ixora nothing happened!! I even tried this process again with a terminal program in windows but still nothing is displayed!!

note : i installed fresh L4T for sure my past effort to use x22 as a ordinary port has no affect in this process.

now what should i do to stop in UBOOT

Best Regards,

hi @toradexvision

and when execute GTKterm on host and power ON ixora nothing happened!! I even tried this process again with a terminal program in windows but still nothing is displayed!!

Did you had working console connection before or not?
Which UART Converter are using?

Best regards,
Jaski

No I hadn’t woreked with console connection before.
But i remembered a few months ago in first time when I connected x22 to my host I seen boot texts on my host side on a Windows terminal program but now I don’t see boot texts again , although I reinstalled fresh l4t again .
I wired manually a connection between my host and device with three wire according to my previous comment.

Thank you

Hi

I wired manually a connection between my host and device with three wire according to my previous comment.

But you still need a USB to RS232 Converter.

Best regards,
Jaski

hi Jaski

by changing my USB to RS232 (because of its malfunctioning) at lost i successfully stop in UBOOT by gtkterm on my host and execute ums 0 mmc 0 command and boot partition appeared and i replaced new generated
zImage, tegra124-apalis-eval.dtb, tegra124-apalis-v1.2-eval.dtb with old and original ones by flash disk but after i turn off the module and turn it on again when ubuntu boots and ubuntu desktop appeared, nothing repose and mouse and keyboard didn’t work It looks like the system is down and hang !!!

would you please help me

Best Regards

hi jaski

i replaced old and original zImage, tegra124-apalis-eval.dtb, tegra124-apalis-v1.2-eval.dtb with new generated ones again and ubuntu become normally again and mouse and keyboard work normally !!!

it seems generated zImage , tegra124-apalis-eval.dtb, tegra124-apalis-v1.2-eval.dtb not work well!!

my device is apalis tk1 V1.1 with 2G Ram and ixora V1.1A

thank you

Could you share your changes?
How did you compile the kernel and the device-tree?

Best regards,
Jaski