Mainline Kernel 4.20.6 Boot Error

Sure I will try that… but for zImage kernel, should I use the same command to compile it?

Yes, but you may leave away the LOADADDR part which is no longer needed.

Just one more thing. I realized when booting from SD, it tries looking for rootfs on /dev/mmcblk0p2 but is not finding the rootfs and stuck.

It has to be /dev/mmcblk0p2 as I used /dev/mmcblk0p1 to load kernel and DTB file. If I tmporary tell u-boot to load from eMMC partition 2 it works but cannot find the rootfs on SD!

It was same on your sample uImage and DTB file which you had sent me. It stuck finding the rootfs partition after loading the kernel and passed that part…

Any idea? (I am not sure if its something about device tree!)

even when we boot from eMMC and insert SD card, it gives this error:

What exact carrier board are you using? Are you using the 8-bit MMC1 or 4-bit SD1 slot? What exact SD card are you using? Have you tried any other SD card?

Later V1.1A hardware revision modules would support UHS-I cards as well in the MMC1 slot but I am not aware of any issue on earlier revisions.

@marcel.tx thanks for your reply again.

• I am using Ixora V1.0A carrier board and using the SD slot. (I think 4-bit SD1 as per Ixora v1.0 datasheet - uSD Card X10)
  • yes have tried different SD. As soon as I back to 4.8.11 the same SD works but not on 4.20.6
  • I am using Sandisk SD 16gb class 1 card. I always have been using these cards and as I mentioned it works fine with older version.

Not sure but seems that SD powers off after initiating. Because in first place it loads the kernel and DTB but when it goes to find the rootfs, seems that it’s not available anymore.

When I boot from eMMC, and insert any SD I receive error I mentioned above.
Again seems that the SD powered off as it even does not list it when using lsblk command

I quickly tested both 4.20.6 as well as today’s -next and identified just one of my 4 SD cards to behave erratically. This only in the Ixora V1.0A and Apalis T30 V1.0D/V1.0E combination. Using the current Ixora V1.1A and Apalis T30 V1.1A/V1.1B works flawlessly even with that problematic card. I guess further investigation would be needed but as using current product versions definitely also solves it I doubt this will happen on any high priority.

Fair enough dear marcel.
I appreciate that…

You are very welcome.