LM816 WiFi module with custom linux kernel for Colibri iMX6

Hello.

In our project we use custom linux kernel with only this options changed from default configuration:

• enabled support for POSIX message queues;

• disabled default graphic boot logo and enabled custom logo.

What other options should we change (e.g. with “make menuconfig” command) to make LM816 WiFi module working? With our current custom kernel this wifi module do not work, but when we flash standard kernel (from BSP image v2.7) the module works Ok.

Best regards.

hi @user622190

You need to add driver backports to the kernel as described here. These drivers should be compiled as kernel modules and then deployed on the module.

Best regards, Jaski

I’ve added driver backports to my system. I’ve used “defconfig-wifi” as compile configuration and transfered all build files to proper “/lib/modules/…” directory. Then I’ve run “depmod” and rebooted the system. But nothing have changed and still the wifi module do not work. When connecting the wifi module to USB port there is only one new dmesg:

“usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ci_hdrc”.

And “lsusb” shows:

“Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188EUS 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter”.

The same results (dmesg and lsusb) I had without driver backports installed.

What is the output of lsmod? Could you provide the complete dmesg log with backports added to the compiled kernel?
Thanks.

I’m sending the outputs for dmesg, lsusb and lsmod.

link text

Thanks for the files. The kernel module for the wifi is not loaded? Could you check if the modules ( ls /lib/modules ) have the same version as your kernel ( uname -r )?

So, the modules and kernel version is the same: “4.1.44-00008-gf3637519a6aa”.

How to check/load kernel module for the wifi?

Are you sure you build and deployed the modules? You need use the command make nconfig during backports integration and choose the correct driver to be compiled as kernel module.

I’ve followed description from this page and I’ve compiled the drivers with commands:

$ make defconfig-wifi
$ make -j4 modules

Should I use “make nconfig” instead? Should I choose different config?

Please try using this config:
http://git1.toradex.com/cgit/meta-toradex-bsp-common.git/tree/recipes-kernel/backports/files/config?h=rocko-next

Welcome back after “short” brake.

I have followed updated info on webpage:
https://developer.toradex.com/knowledge-base/kernel-backports-integration

and successfully deployed kernel modules (with backports) to Colibri module.

Now my USB-WiFi card works.

Thank you.

Perfect that it works. Thanks for your feedback.